Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I really hate Hartke's power ratings!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 4, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sorry about my complaining.

I'm getting ready to put together a rig. Since I'm both a college student and a professional musician, I'm double the cliche of not having a lot of money *LOL*.

I'm thinking of putting together a Hartke rig. I've always dug the Hartke sound and their stuff is very affordable. The only problem is I really hate their head and cab ratings. I'm only planning on using a single 4x10 cab, so I want a decently powered match. The heads are nicely powered, but the stereo heads don't appear to be bridgable. Most of the cabs seem to be rated 400 watts at 8 ohms. The HA4000 seems to be a nice mono head, but it's producing 400 watts at 4 ohms, so I would be losing a lot of power by hooking it up to an 8 ohm cab. Hartke needs to either a). make their stereo heads bridgable or b). offer a 4 ohm version of their XL cabs, because I'm not lugging two cabs around just to get the most wattage out of the head.

Maybe I'll buy an HA4000 and find a non-Hartke cab to run with it.

Sorry about my vent. :D

2. How can you hate their cab and amp ratings when all they are is the truth. What you really mean is ( I think) is I'm bummed cause I cant find a 410XL in a 4ohm version so I can get the full potetial out of my equipment. :) The 215XL is 4 ohms...threw some casters on mine and I'm good to go!.......By the way........Glad to see another tb member that digs the "Hartke" Sound! Watch out for Hartke bashing here.....just ignore em...

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

I actully did alot of research on hartke stuff about 6 months ago and the 215XL cab and the 810 xl are the only xl cabs that hartke makes that are 4ohms. So as for him finding a 4 ohm 410XL he honestly wont because hartke dosnt make them in 4 ohm version. He could rewire it to make a 4 ohm load but that just my 0.02$

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't sweat pushing the 410XL with that 4000 head. I run either a 410XL or a 15" + 5" combo cab (1155 combo) with an older 3500 MOSFET (the old ones seem to have a little more oomph) routinely and get more volume than I need for small to medium shows. For larger shows I can run them both. Sure I'm only pulling like 285(?) watts at 8 ohms, but what do I care what the numbers are if the rig is getting the job done? Just don't push the power amp too hard to avoid clip.

If power is an issue, maybe look at the 7000?

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I guess that's a better way of framing my frustration. :D

Kael - I would definatley be into a 7000, but again, I just think it's pointless to have a stereo head that can't be bridged (since I'm only going to use a single cab).

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    And I should add....

I think a lot of people base their definition of good tone on the "Ampeg Sound", since it's kind of the standard of bass amplification (much like how Marshall is for guitar). I've never liked Ampegs, so I tend to gravitate more towards stuff like Hartke.

7. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    older hartke is far better than the current heads. I'm not sure what happened to them.
    I have an older 3500 and its great, lots of bang for the buck. The pre-amp sounds great when you drive it hard.

8. I hope everyone here knows that I kid around alot about "Hartke Bashing" Its all about the sound you want! I've never played using ashdown...Eden...or Ampeg and I would never comment on them for that reason. This said.....I have never had a problem reducing the "tinny sound" people say they dislike about Hartke aluminum speakers, as a matter of fact most of the time I'm trying to get the low end out of my 215XL and add some mids...and thats with the 3500. Like you say 4ohms is a bitch (thats what this 215XL is) and I can't add a cab to it but ..... right now ...Why would I want to. I can make it tinny...midi...or knock pictures off the walls...very versital. And I'm proud of it like most here are of their rigs! Ohhh..Only buy the "XL" series of "Hartke" cabs...nothing else......The HA3500 is a great amp.........MHO

9. Hartke head + avatar cab?

10. +1 on the avatar

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I run a Hartke 5500 with an Avatar 2x10 and a 1x12! Solid!

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I'm already ahead of you. ;) Last night, I decided that I'm going to be ordering an Avatar Neo on Monday.

edited for incorrect article used in front of Avatar. I'm such a grammar Nazi. *LOL*

13. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Hartke Supporter here, like em even more now that the cost has come down. I have a 210xl and 115xl that sound real good together and don't weigh a ton.