i really hate to do this...but i need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S Lewis, Jan 23, 2006.

1. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    It's time for me to upgrade my rig, but i'm pretty overwhelmed by all of the choices i have...hopefully you guys can share some of your wisdom with me? :confused:

right now, all i'm worried about is getting a new bass head. I've set a limit of ~$600.....new or used. Some possible choices i've considered are

Eden WT550
    Genz Benz GBE600
    Peavey Pro 500
    Line 6 POD XT Live -> QSC PLX 1602
    Mesa/Boogie 400+

I'm pretty much open to anything right now, though i am slightly biased towards tube preamps...and 2 ohm capability is a must, as i have a 4ohm Avatar B210 Delta and i plan on adding a 4ohm B212 in the near future.

i play mainly rock, with R+B gigs on the side.

thanks in advance for all of the help :)
  2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Given your choices/options I'd go with the Mesa 400+ head...loud and tube is a good match; it's a very warm head that I really enjoyed...yea I'd take one...
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for 600 you can kind of cound out a lot on your list.

eden 400 and 300 heads should go for 600 or less used. another head that's really impressive for what it is would be the genz benz 600. i'm not sure what the new price is on those but they sound pretty similar to a cross between eden and swr for less $. nice eq section too.

Overall i would try the used market (try the talkbass classifieds) as often you can get a lot more bang for your buck.
  4. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I don't think you'll find a 400+ for under $600. You might find a wt550 for that price but I'd compare thatpeavey pro 500 with the Eden. They will sound different. The Eden will be "cleaner" sounding, but that doesn't mean it's the right one for you. Peavey is just like most other companies.....they make great stuff, good stuff and stuff for beginners. I think it;s the fact that they sell so many beginner equip that some people turn their nose up to Peavey products. It's also probably the same aspect that maintains the company's ability to produce great products for low prices.......take the good with the bad.
    Either way....If I were you I'd try to A and B compare a 550 and pro 500 if you have the chance.
  5. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    i'd actually take a Peavey Pro right now, no questions asked....if it's anywhere near as solid and toneful as my T-40 i know i cant go wrong
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like the idea of the Eden WT550, it has a nice warm tube-type sound (it has a tube preamp) but beware the 400 and 300 edens DON'T do 2 ohms, 4 min. only recently have companies been making 2ohm min models available.
  7. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    keep it coming!
  8. Genz Benz. Doubt you'll find a working 400+ in your price range, but those are great amps - though the Benz is more flexible, and handles a 5 string better. Edens are fine amps, I found the Peavey uninspiring. I'm purposely omitting comments on one of your suggestions.

The Genz Benz will run at 2 ohms all day, and is ridiculously loud. Great people at Genz Benz too, you will not find better support, they stand behind their product, even the discontinued stuff (not that the 600 is - but eventually everything gets discontinued). Cannot say enough positive things about their products or the people behind them.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Traynor YBA 200, but people have reported that they don't match Avatar cabs too well... What are you using right now?
  10. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I have a AvatarB212 DeltaLF thats only a few months old, that I plan to sell, because I've changed my rig set-up. It's just like new, and I really don't want to E-Bay it. E-mail me when your ready to but, and I'll give you a deal on it. It's a 4 ohm cab, and sounds wonderfull.
  11. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd say Genz-Benz. The cutomer support can't be better.
  12. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Traynor Mono block into an SWR Basic 2-Way. Old gear kick ass sound. Highly underrated and competitive against today's products.

I haven't used a Mono block in years. Bullet proof boat anchor you can toss in the back of pickup truck.

As for the SWR, it's my current cab of choice. Bought it new last year, despite being out of production since 1998.

Leave some cash in your pocket and get some proven reliable, great sounding gear.

My $.02 Swiss Francs
  13. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Maybe you should raise your limit a bit :p. I was walking around with the notion of spending ~$600 in mind and I walked into a shop that had a used 400+ in near mint condition for $900... needless to say, the shop doesn't have it anymore :).
  14. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Kustom 1200
    Sunn 1200S/ Fender Bassman 1200Pro used

That would give you nearly endless tone possibilities and power
  15. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    im starting to lean more and more towards the Genz Benz...it seems like it would serve me well
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's a couple of WT-550s in the ads right now. Get one.
  17. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    There is a new Basic 2-way sitting in a shop downtown for CHF1350. New. Never sold. And they stopped making it in 1998. I bought mine from a store that came to its senses and dropped their price from $1350 to $400.

I think the association with the 120watt Basic Black tarnished the capability of the Basic 2-way. I don't think many people took it seriously. It was part of their Professional line and not the Workingman line. I think Mike in Louisiana scored one before Christmas.

I'd like to hear that cab with a Monoblock. That could be a real in your face experience.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Basic Black was part of the Professional series also. The Basic 2 Way was designed as an extension cab for the Basic Black.
  19. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    You can get a new Yorkville XS800 Watt head for about $600 new if you keep your eyes :ninja: open on ebay or the internet bass stores...I love :) mine powering :bassist: my 410 Schroeder cab...built like a tank and a plethora of tones at your disposal;) -its a ss/tube hybrid preamp...and it has a 2 year unlimited warranty...:D
  20. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For $500 I'd go for a nice preamp with a cheap poweramp. I picked up my rack rig for $500 and it consists of a 1700 watt AB International poweramp and a demeter VTBP pre w/ jensen transformer. You can get really nice poweramps for $100-200 if you don't mind them weighing a ton. As far as tone is concerned, the poweramp is the least important component in a rig.