I really need help!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 311 fan, Nov 6, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I bought a GSR 200 JB Ibanez and I really love it. That was a while ago. Now that I know so much more, Ive realized the action is really terrible. Just to let you know what the action is if you dont, its the height between the neck ang the strings. Ive tried screwing with the neck, but it only made things worse. Ive also messed with the bride, but it didnt help What can i do. Im open to all suggestions.Its really slowing down my playing and giving a lot of BUZZ,to. What do you think?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this should really be under "setup", but it also needs the problem to be defined. I am getting two contradictory impressions here. The action is "terrible" - too high or too low - both can be a problem?

Usually people complain about a high action slowing them down - it's certainly easier to play faster with a low action. But in your last sentence you mention fret buzz, which is a classic symptom of too low an action :confused:

And what have you done to the neck and bridge - we need to know before offering any advice.

I think that without knowing the particular instrument or its current state, the only possible advice is to take it to a qualified setup person at a shop. Without a more detailed description it's virtually impossible to say what the problem is or why it has happened, let alone suggest a remedy!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - Do you really want advice from someone who doesn't even know what "action" means? :rolleyes:
  4. The action is bad, but the re-action is worse!
  5. Just kidding! Bruce is right, of course, take it to a good repairman for a pro setup. It should'nt cost much.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, Might as well comply with the general wisdom and move it to Setup.

Will C.:cool: