Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I really need infor on brazillian bassits

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sess, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Sess

Sess

Dec 4, 2003
    I have a presentation due on brazillain bassists and bass playing due tommorow. I can't find any information relevent, aside from a few little tidbits.

If anyone could help me find information on the style and how to play it, or provide me with the names and bands of good brazillian bass players, or thier bands, I would be enteranly in debt to you.

ps. I can't BS this because my music app teacher happens to be a somewhat famous bass player.

thanks,
    Chris

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Only two names I can think of off the top of my head are Nico Assumpcao and Arthur (or is it Tim?) Maia. You could do a search on them.

The other thing you could do is just search for famous Brazilian artists and see who plays bass with them. I'm not up on the most current stuff, but you could try Milton Nascimento, Jorge Ben, Djavan, Ivan Lins, Caetano Veloso, Marisa Monte, Daniela Mercury, Dori Caymmi, Beto Guedes, Gal Costa, Antonio Carlos (aka "Tom") Jobim, Maria Bethania, Egberto Gismonti, Airto, Flora Purim, Joao Gilberto, Oscar Castro-Neves, Baden Powell, Bola Sete.

3. Sess

Sess

Dec 4, 2003
    You are the man, you probably saved me A##, anyone else have any more info or anything about the acctaully mechanics of the sytle, I know samba is bassed off root and 5th and played mainly on teh 1st and 3rd beats.

4. man... i live in Brazil and play bass ya know :D
    if i had read it earlier i could be of great help for you. everything the other guy told is really good help and correct. the name of the bassist that he didn't remembered is Arthur Maia and he kicks a$$ IMO. other slap bassist you should take a look on is Celso Pixinga, one of the fastest slaps on the world in Bass Player Magazine.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cesar Leony is Daniela Mercury's bass player and I think musical director. He comes up with some pretty kickass lines.

6. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
  7. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Also, you're right. Samba is based mainly on root-5th lines. Mostly decending R-5. Bossa Nova is based mainly around the first and third beats in a 4/4 feel, but samba is a 2/4 feel. It's written in 4/4 cut time(same thing as 2/4).

8. If you're still interested
    you can look for bassists like Nico Assumpçao, Arthur Maia (Tim Maia is a Brazilian singer),
    Luizão Maia, Jamil Joanes, Chico Gomes, Adriano Giffoni, Sizão Machado, André Neiva, Zuzo Moussawer (not shure about the spelling on this last one)

9. neto

neto

Jun 15, 2006
    Brazil
    the spelling is allright! =)

http://www.zuzo.com.br/

10. Ugh, next time look at when the last post was.