Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I really need some help here.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by omarbass, Aug 15, 2000.

1. omarbass

omarbass

Aug 14, 2000
    im trying to get that hip hop sub bass sound for one of our songs and I would really really really appreciate all the help i can get. im new here, and from the looks of things i can see there are lots and lots of helpful people here, i hope i can get some of that help! thanks a lot!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass, omarbass.

The easiest way to get a rsponse on these forums is to be more descriptive in your topic titles. "I really need some help here" is a little vague.

For some good tips on getting the best responses possible, go to http://64.39.29.218/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3712

Help your Fellow TalkBass members help you.

Will C.:cool:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You need a Roland synth - I use the Roland MC-303 Microcomposer, which has a lot of those old analogue sounds.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I think a synthesiser might be a little excessive, especially since you say you only need this sound for one song.

Your best bet would be an octaver pedal. Turn the treble/tone down on your bass, and the "bass" up. You might also be able to find the sound you want by experimenting with the tone controls on your amp head.

Good luck,

David

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think David is right that it seems a bit excessive to buy a synth for just one song, but they can be very useful in many ways and some second-hand synths are actually cheaper than many effects pedals and infinitely more useful!

I don't think that you can get the sound described with a standard bass guitar. It is a "hollow" square-wave sound that bass guitars are not designed for. Secondly, the pitch of the notes is taken way below the range of most bass guitars - all except John Turner's probably ;)

6. omarbass

omarbass

Aug 14, 2000
    i know that sound can be achieved with a standard bass guitar cause i saw a live band in hollywood, and the bass player got that sound and all i saw in front of him were a Boss BAss Synth,(which I have and doesnt have that sound), a dod chorus pedal, a dod envelope filter, and a Wah pedal. Damn, I have all these and tried to get the sound, i got something similar with the envelope filter by setting it so that I never trigger the filter, but the problem is that the volume decreases and the bass doesnt sound as loud as I would like it to sound. I think Im definetly gonna look into another used synth though! Thanks for all your help. Thanks to everyone.