1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I really need some tums...GAS hits back hard

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mc_muench, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I feel like I post this thread once every couple months with slight variations, the story this time goes...

A while back my local Music-go-round had an old Peavey amp that I though looked really cool but I never took the time to play it, well obviously it disappeared before I ever got the chance, and I forgot about it. Tonight I walk into the same Music-go-round, to kill some time, I had no plans on buying anything, I bet you can see where this is going...When I enter, what do I see? That old Peavey staring back at me, I said to myself as I laughed, I definitely have to try it out this time. I walk over to check it out, it was only $50, instantly I said I have to buy it, I tried it out, and it's actually pretty good. It's a Peavey Standard Series 260. 130watts, it's peavey so it's rock solid reliable, and it has built it in reverb and distortion which are pretty cool. The pots are a bit scratchy but I set the and leave them so I'm not going to worry about it. Definitely worth $50. I figure I was meant to own it, if it came back to me.

Until next GAS attack, I leave you with pictures
    IMG_0081.
    IMG_0085.
    IMG_0086.

Can anyone give me a year ball park on this thing?

2. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm having trouble finding any info on this thing, even on the Peavey website, the most helpful piece of info I've found is this thread, and it's not even that helpful...• View topic - 260H Standard

Other threads from the peavey forum just say there they have the owner manuals for it online but I checked, they don't

Anyone know anything?

3. Maybe Judy knows? :)

s2bs2 and drpepper like this.
  4. I go crazy for decent gear that's $100 or less.
    I always keep a C-note around for craigslist, etc. deals.
    Enjoy the new piece.

S

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Almost definitely 70's. It's actually a PA mixer, but could easily be adapted as an amp.

6. I remember seeing those when I was in High School, which would have been the early '70s. Gawd, I feel old.

7. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
  8. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    took a pic with the rest of my rig...
    IMG_0090.

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I have a 1973 F800-B, and your amp looks like it was constructed very similarly, so I'd agree with the early '70s estimates.

Maybe BbbyBld (Peavey Engineer) will chime in.

:::paging BbbyBld::: :)

10. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes! get a Peavey engineer in here! I emailed the customer service yesterday, let's see if what I've been hearing about Peavey customer service is true.

11. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    They emailed me back today and there reputation for great customer service stands strong.
    The gave me a PDF of the owner manual for my specific bass amp, as well and the wiring schematic. The were also able to tell me the year. It's a 1971.

12. thedevilisbad

thedevilisbad

Dec 14, 2010
    Jackson, MI
    What happened to your HH Bass Machine?

13. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sold it a while back...I loved that thing, but I wanted something different, AKA that Ampeg tone, hence the B2R. I felt something like that should get played and maybe restored. I wish I could have keep her and restored it but I didn't have the money, so I traded her, for another person to happen upon it and find out what of a gem it was, and maybe be more useful to them. And guess what it happened, I got a PM about a month from the guy who bought it about some info on it, cause I had to search deep deep in google to find info on it and vintage HH Electronics as a whole. As far as I know, he is still using her.

I never planned on buying another boat anchor but the price was right. And now I have a back up head to the Ampeg, although I do plan on using this Peavey as a dedicated Doom head.

Also on a side note if anyone on TB ever needs info about HH, direct them towards me, I still have those links and info I found.

14. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I am impressed!

Nice find.

The best part was the reply you received from Peavey. I'll certainly keep that kind of customer service in mind when I go buy my next new piece of gear.

15. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yah, I was surprised to because A) I bought it used and B) it's twice as old as I am, so still having the same level of service for your old discontinued products says a lot to me

Mark Cult likes this.
  16. thedevilisbad

thedevilisbad

Dec 14, 2010
    Jackson, MI
    That'd be me!

I'm sure there are all sorta of fun things you'll be able to do with the Peavey head. I wonder how keys sound through it.

17. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    never got one of my questions answered, Im able to safely daisy chain this to my ampeg, using that booster output?

From what I've found and been reading there isn't a definite yes, you can or NO, DONT, SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN! there was just something about impedances being the same.

18. The "Booster" output is meant to go to a second amp's power amp in (or "effects return"). IF both amp heads have a proper 3 wire grounded power cord no problem. If one or both amps have a two wire cord, not without caution!

19. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Both the Ampeg and Peavey have their 3 prong grounded power cords.

So what you are saying is I put the booster out into the Ampeg's effects loop return? That will give the the Peavey's tone with the Ampeg's power? Or will it combine the Peavey and Ampeg's power? What about the tone, will it blend both amps, or will it just be the Peavey's? What if I just run the booster out to the Ampeg's normal input? Also, what does this do to the amount of oms and watts the chain of amp puts out?

Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to daisy chaining and what not, I just don't want to experiment and then break something...

20. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    So I tried it, and I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Here's exactly what I did...bass to big muff, into Peavey input, Peavey booster out to Ampeg effects return. All I get is really quiet bass with static over the top. I even tried putting the booster out into the Ampeg input, all I get is high pitched feedback type sound.

I'm not too worried the 130watts is quite louder than it sounds, just wanna try some different things.