1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I really need to build me a fEARful 15 Sub...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, May 12, 2011.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just for the fun of it, I decided to make a series cable and run my two 4 ohm 110/6 cabs as an 8 ohm "add-on" to my fEARful 15/6. This boosts my Carvin BX1200 up to 1200 watts into 4 ohms (bridged).

I have some 110/6 cabs I built a while ago that are loaded with BP102's (4 ohm speakers) and no internal crossovers so the jacks for the BP102's are separate from those cab's 6" mid drivers (I bi-amp with them). The BP102's are rated at 200 watts each, with 6.2mm xmax. Not a 3015LF, but not too bad for tens either. I realize the pair of BP102's can't keep up with the single 3015LF. But I wired up the cable and plugged them all in.

Granted, because of no crossover, the BP102's are getting the full monty of the entire frequency range, not just lows (and the mids in those cabs aren't even connected). But...what it did tell me was exactly what I was expecting. HUGE volume!!! I know...well, duh! I was testing it because I have no fEARful 15 Sub or the funds to build one at the moment. I wanted to see what it might be like to add a 15 Sub for outdoor gigs. Hell, even just running my rig as seen below it is VERY loud and still pretty clear with only the 18Sound mid and any upper content the BP102's are putting out full range. I can only imagine what a fEARful 15 Sub would do. :D More low end, more volume and even better clarity. It would be massive sounding.

I'm not intending to run it this way at a gig and I know about mixing the speakers...not a great idea to run with. But I just wanted to see what adding more speakers to an already outrageously loud and clear fEARful would do, and how my BX1200 handled it at it's max output (although I couldn't really max it out, nor would I want to). Then again, in a pinch on a really loud outdoor gig, I could swing this setup if I really needed the extra volume so as not to put too much stress on the 3015LF, even if I did have less than ideal sound overall. That would be about the only reason I'd ever do it.

Just having some fun. I envy you guys with dual 15/6 cabs or the 15/6 with a 15 Sub. Freaking cool. I thought fEARfuls cured my GAS...just makes me want to build a fEARful 15 Sub!!! :D

[​IMG]

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played some more through everything again today. Tried it with and without the BP102 loaded cabs. Together it just felt so good. I just had to feel that sensation again.

It isn't as if the 15/6 can't hang with my incredibly loud classic rock band because it has without ever having to crank it. And it isn't like I even pushed my 15/6 to it's full limits on it's own. But the sound and feeling was just so massive (even by adding the BP102's which can't even compete with the 3015LF...my god what would adding a fEARful 15 Sub be like?). I'm a volume and low end junkie...always needing my fix. It's like I had a taste of the real "uncut" stuff and I just can't get enough of it now. :D

After putting all the pieces back on the shelves where they belong and straightening up the pictures on the walls, I realize somehow, some way, I gotta find a way to build a fEARful 15 Sub. Even if I don't need it, I want it. Maybe this summer if all goes well.

Burning Skies...your 15/6 + 15 Sub rig with the Kern and Peavey IPR 3000 must be just like having a full body massage.

3. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    My ears are ringing just thinking about that. Volume set at 1/2 would probably be enough for my stage volume needs.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There's no good excuse NOT to build one.

Did I mention that the Sub is quicker and easier to build? Did I mention that its cheaper to build? Did I mention that the low pass is quicker and easier to fabricate? Did I say that the 15sub is also a good amount lighter to carry?

:D

Did I mention that since I got my 15 sub I haven't gigged or practiced without it? :rollno:

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    LOL. Like I needed any more reasons to do it! My wife is gonna kill me...or at least make life uncomfortable for a while. :D

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I already don't need to crank my single 15/6 even on my loudest gigs thus far. But the feeling this rig gives me is unbelievable.

And really it is more about the feeling than the volume. The whole fEARful experience is giving me so much clean low end that I can feel the bass in a way I couldn't before, without muddying up the stage or FOH.

One of the problems with adding more low end to most cabs that can't really handle it, is that in doing so even the upper bass and lo-mids get affected by it and it just ends up in an indistinguishable sonic mess. That's why so many say real low end is a problem onstage. It's not, so long as the cab running it can handle it.

fEARfuls stay clean while getting deeper. That's why I wouldn't run this "full" rig as is (with the two 110's). I'll either run the 15/6 by itself (which thus far has been more than plenty) or add a 15 Sub. But I'm enjoying the experience with this stuff in Madison Square Living Room.