Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I really need to vent.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My dad is a cop... and was just involved in a shooting.

He is fine... but it scared the living **** out of me.

I just have one thing to say:

GET A LIFE ALL YOU FREAKIN SCUM BAG CRIMINALS! or just die... whatever.
    --------------------------------------------------

I'm sitting there in the car... my mom tells me my dad was involved in a shooting... i ask if she is ok, she says she does not know.... then she gives me this look and it just screams something bad happened.

then i start crying..

then she finds out he is ok...

now i just got the F*** scared out of me....

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll back you up on that.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Well, I found out what really happened.

He was on patrol, he sees a suspicious person, so he gets out to investigate.

The guy sees him, and says he has a knife and and going to kill him.

It turns out to be scissors, the guy starts running at my dad, and my dad fires 5 shots... hits the guy 3 times, and I think he killed him.

Psh. That will teach him not to mess with my dad.

But I still haven't talked to my dad... so I am still a little shaky...

4. Man, I hope he's OK.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hope your Dad is fine. It must be very hard to do what he had to do. My brother is a cop.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Your dad is a brave man, Mike. He's entered a dangerous field of work where stuff like this can happen. I HOPE his career goes well. Tons of cops have great careers and don't get hurt. Lets hope your dad is one of them.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Around here, the drunk always has a cement trowel or a baseball bat. The cop tells him to put it down, then the fool rushes the cop, who shoots him with the full magazine. Then the bleeding hearts come out and say, "You didn't have to shoot him. Or at least you could have just wounded him."

I just see it as a cleansing of the gene pool, especially if the criminal is of reproductive age. In the Marines, I learned this about firearms: Never draw your weapon unless you intend to use it. When you use it, shoot to kill.

Seriously, your father's life was in jeopardy. In that situation, I always want the officer to win. It's always a tough decision to take another's life, but the criminal decided to up the stakes.

For what it's worth, I really appreciate the work your dad does, even when he's giving me a ticket or something. It's a tough job. I know you must be rattled. I'm afraid I don't have the experience to give you any meaningful advice, but if it's a pervasive problem for you, you might consider some counseling. Hang in there.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Mike,

I must confess that when I saw the title I thought this was going to be something about a girl or someone hassling you. I'm sorry for that and I'm sorry you had to go through that few minutes of terror thinking that your father was possibly dead. That sucks and I feel for you. I hope that he is able to recover fully from the stress of this. Ya'll are in my prayers.

brad cook

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Thanks Munji...

I just talked to him and he was super calm.... hell... normal. We ended up talking about tommorows bass lesson and which bass I was bringing. we talked for about 10 minutes, he had to go so I told him I loved him, then he hung up.

There is an article about it which tells the story...

Article

Edit:

The guy he shot apparently had a rap sheet 9 pages long which included sex crimes and attacks on peace officers.

I am so scared for him right now, but still so proud. Just one less scum bag he and the rest of us have to worry about.

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I feel for ya Mike.

I 'm glad your dad is ok.
    It's sad that your dad was forced to take another's life. That was a selfish thing that guy did to put your dad in that situation. Sounds like it was one of those "Suicide by Cop" situations.

Good Luck Mike.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Dude, that is exactly how my dad described it. Like the guy wanted it to be a "cop assisted suicide" or something like that...

But... he is dead, and no longer needs to be worried about. Screw him.

I LOVE YOU DAD!

12. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Mike, I just read the article, I'm glad your Dad is fine. that was a very tough situation but he knew what to do, he is a brave man indeed.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I have no clue what I would do if he was not OK.

You never think crap like this is going to happen to you, then it does.

It hasn't really set in that my dad killed a man... my brain is still saying "cop killed bad guy... cop happens to be dad... but still... cop just killed bad guy. normal stuff."

I am never going to hold this against him, but I am just waiting the enormity of what happened to set in...

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Your dad is very brave, and I think he did the right move. Obviously "Act of Self Defense". There are some weird people everywhere (especially in NYC). Sometimes I think how could these people exist.

I guess some people takes their problems too seriously

D

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Just remember that however hard it hits you, it's gonna hit your Dad 20 times harder. He may not know it yet, and he'd probably won't say it out loud, but he's gonna need support from his family and lots of it. Look after each other OK!

16. anybody in this day and age who decides to be a policeman, serviceman, anyone who decides to get a job defending us, the population, so on, is a very brave person indeed. it takes guts, thought, and puts their life on the line. with the way the world is going anymore, bravery is the key word.
    i am glad your dad is okay. it is a sad day when an officer has to pull his gun. the one thing they do not want to do. it affects them tremendously. i know many people on the force due to my job, and that part is the hardest on them.
    and it is hard on the families also. it scares the hell out of them, like it did mike, to know their parent/spouse was put in a situation that they could have been hurt.
    take care of yourself mike. be there for your dad. and thank god he is okay.:)