I really wanna read the force awakens thread but....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blu bro, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    So like the title says: i really wanna read the force awakens thread but... am yet to see the movie.

I can hardly use social media without **SPOILER*** alerts. anyone else the same? Surely i am not the only one?

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Nope.
    I'm avoiding any SW threads until after I see it.
    I have been told it is very good.

3. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    i am with you Basshappi. but i am trying to go in level headed rather than it being amazing.. like episode 2 expectations.

4. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    It's an enjoyable movie, a dumb action/sci-fi blockbuster like all the great Star Wars movies have been.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm reading the thread. It's answering some of the questions I would have likely walked out of the movie wondering.

-Mike

6. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I will be more then happy to read all the articles/threads/info i have skipped over in the past week once i have seen it. But up until that point im sticking to my guns (even at the risk of being confused at some aspects of watching the movie first time round as you said Mike)

7. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Go see it, dummy.

8. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    see the issue is i said i wouldnt see it without seeing with my brother in law.

Catch is trying to find a night we are both free. two failed dates already. fingers crossed for this Sun arvo.

9. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    What's his number?

10. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    haha

+61 *******08

Hoff Kinkmeister likes this.
  11. How much can be let on without spoiling is a challenge.

It is set 30 years on from Return of the Jedi. All the main hero characters reappear. No coincidence there but by my maths they could just have easily made it 40. That would have been closer to the natural aging of the actors thus kinder to Harrision and Mark Hamill, who looks to have been on an epic bender since ROTJ.

New baddies of course. Droid tech has advanced appropriately.

12. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Its good. Oh man, wait till you see the part where Gilligan and the Professor steal the coconuts!!!

Crap. Um, spoiler alert?

13. A Youtube comment gave away a spoiler but it really didn't ruin the movie for me. I did, however, avoid Reddit at all costs.

I saw the movie last night so I guess I can participate in the other thread eventually. I went to the 10:30pm showing and barely anyone was there, so I got sit in my preferred spot. I can only assume the super fans already saw it, and most folks didn't want to drive to the theater when it was raining.

I watched the Real3D version at $16.50 (what!? It's been so long since I've been to the movie theaters I was shocked at all the prices). The IMAX3D was at 11:20pm ($18.50), and as much as I like Star Wars... I didn't want to wait that long into the night.

Only one segment was actually shot with an IMAX camera, and most theaters aren't true 70mm IMAX so you won't see it that way anyways. Allegedly the sound is better in an IMAX showing, but where I usually sit (all the way in the back) I'm not getting the full surround sound potential.

The movie itself was shot in 2D, so everything was converted to 3D. I'm not a fan of 3D because it forces it's perspective a lot more, but I am a sucker for gimmicks. You won't be missing any major extra experiences watching it in 2D. Static shots are okay in 3D. Some action sequences initially seem cool, but if you divert your eyes to see some background details it gets blurry and double-vision.

I read that the good part about Real3D is its more tolerable if you tilt your head a bit, which I found true. With IMAX, tilt your head and everything goes bonkers.

On a personal note, I had to use the restroom the whole time. I certainly didn't want to leave during the movie even though I'm more than likely going to see it again. I should've went during the over abundance of previews I already seen on Youtube. Lesson learned.

14. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Then GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!!

Blu bro and RHFusillo like this.
  15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    You're right to be fearful of the other thread. It's full of spoilers, like:
    • Jar Jar Binks becomes the Ultimate Ruler of the Universe.
    • Luke Skywalker is in every scene of this movie, but the other characters call him "Shecky."
    • Hayden Christensen plays Princess Leia. He wears a bikini in most scenes. It's an obvious pander to the current transgender craze.

16. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015

17. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I managed to avoid most of the spoilers and i didnt see the flick til Sunday. Thats no mean feat in this day and age i tell you what.

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I haven't watched any of this jazz since Reagan was in office.

19. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    Aaaaahhhhhh!!! I am not sure if I can read some of these posts, seem a bit long to not involve spoilers.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021