i really want a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jul 2, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    should I?

1) sell my sterling as is, and buy a jazz with whatever i have left over (how much do you think a 94 sterling with a pretty big dent on the side and a moses graphite neck with a fender headstock is worth?)
    2) put my MM neck back on my sterling, sell it, and try to build a jazz bass with that neck? (problems with that are the original neck being slightly warped and defretted, and that the moses neck is fender looking but sterling spec so i'd need to do some routing
    3) try to add a J pickup to my sterling (it's already bastardized....)
    4) find someone who wants to trade (anyone? :D )

i'm looking for cost effectiveness here.

sorry, i think this is my most unintelligible post ever...but i just want some ideas on the cheapest way to get a good jazz bass.
  2. Sell your Sterling and look for an MTD Grendel or Beast, or maybe an ash-bodied passive Warwick Corvette 4 (I see them used from time to time).
  3. Personally, I would put a J pickup in ala Lakland and see what kind of J bass tones you can get out of it. If you really want to sell it, I think it would sell it with the moses neck unless you really want it for another project. If you plan on using the other neck then you'd probably have to get the fingerboard dressed and tured by a luthier which will cut into your profit.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id mod the heck out of your sterling. i cant imagine it being worth that much considering you can used sterlings pretty dang cheap these days. although the bridge coil on the mm pickup is kind of far away from the bridge to get a jazz bass sound with the neck j pickup. so i say, add a set of j bass pickups. neck pickup+bridge pickup right behind the mm pickup. the bridge j would be in about the same place as a 70's j. could equal all kinds of different tones.

or just sell it and buy a jazz;)
  5. I'm in a similar boat myself, Jason. I'm selling off (or at least attempting to sell) quite a few of the basses I've got to raise enough money for a "super jazz" like a Sadowsky. It's a tough decision really.

I'd say sell the Sterling and look for a good jazz style bass. Peter made some pretty good suggestions already. Are you thinking of staying with a 4-string for the jazz?
  6. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    sell the sterling with the original neck, sell the graphite neck seperately, and buy a fretless 'wick.

jazz bass?
  7. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I really want a jazz bass too..

but I'm too po' to afford one atm, going to build one ;)
  8. Yep! do what you have do to get rid of your conglomeration mixed bag situation ,then buy yourself a nice MIA all stock Fender jazz bass and don't mess with it one bit... Leave it stock forever. I know it's hard for some people but it's best to leave a good thing alone..Don't lose that fender Vibe please.....

Why! Cause Fetch said so.........and because were fresher because we ripen on the vine:D

9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...i'm probably going to locate a fretless warwick before i start trying to unload my musicman - i can't have less than 2 basses ever cos i break strings alot.

here was what i was specing out last nite.

Ash body (oil finish)
    wenge neck w/ebony board (don't like the feel of maple necks - that's the only problem with leaving a jazz bass stock)
    tortoiseshell pickguard
    good singlecoils (SD's? Dimarzio?)
    passive electronics
    badass2 bridge

i figure i should be able to build that from scratch for around 700 bucks. would it be cheaper to buy a used MIA and put the neck on it?

how much do you think i could sell my sterling for with and without graphite neck? i was thinking 500 without and 700 with? but then - i could sell the graphite neck for 200 bucks so it's all even then i guess.
  10. Dude you'll prolly won't be satisfied with anything you build.....I mean look a the mess your MM Sterling is in.. Just get a MIM Jazz off ebay for about 230 replace the pups, neck and bridge and still be under 700... um, I don't think your "ashtray" will fit over your BadAss bridge. Why can't you find a bass that is all original (Stock) that will work for you? Good Luck man!
  11. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    hmm....i have a mia fender jazz and i'm in love with another woman (the sterling)....just wondering, but why would you rather a jbass than the sterling, or a new sterling?
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well jason.. IMO, I think you should grab a fretless first..

Whats wrong with your STII ???? I mean i know that most people (myself included) want numerous basses, but is it not doing something you want it to do?

I hope your search goes well and you end up with what yout want

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok

Here's my dad with my beast.... not all stock, but pickguards and knobs dont count :)
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no way in hell am i giving up my SS2 5'er. that's my favorite bass in the world. i want to have a 5 string, a fretless 5 or 6 string, and a 4 string. i'm definitely going to complete the collection (the fretless warwick) before replacing the 4.

the reason this all came about was from me listening to some mp3's of me playing a borrowed jazz bass with this fusion band and realizing i liked that tone a LOT more than i like my sterlings tone. my sterling isn't a "mess." the bass plays better than any bass i've ever played. the neck is like BUTTER, and the action is super low. i'm just not happy with the tone. (i wasn't happy with the tone before the graphite neck either, but the graphite neck improved it alot) the only reason i put on the graphite neck is because MM wouldn't sell me a new neck - plain and simple. no idea why the original neck warped in the first place - but i have had it for 7 years now, and i might have done some stupid stuff to it unknowingly when i was younger.

i just like the jazz bass "vibe," but there are definitely some custom things i'd have to do. i'm hooked on wenge necks, and to not have that rawness just feels odd now. so i figure - a J bass with a wenge neck and ebony board would fit me JUST fine. i like natural, non glossy bodies as well. (but i guess i could deal with a clearcoat ash body)
    i'd have my guitar player assemble it so it'd be perfect.
  15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain

You can buy a neck from ErnieBall if you give them the original neck. Same with pickups and preamps.

hope it helps
    keep groooovin'