Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I really want to learn tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Jan 13, 2002.

1. I just realized that tapping was the only technique I don't know, I would be very happy if one of you or a few of you could teach me how to this

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Use the search feature, I know this has been explained numerous times just within the past few months.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Here's how:

1) Place any finger on any fret with sufficient force to make a sound.

That's it. Where you go from there is up to you.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    this is the ONLY technique you don't know??? you must be a god.

5. 2 words; Stu Hamm. Other than that loose strings help so either change the gauge of your stings or tune all of them down 2 steps or so (un less u already have loose strings or if you have low enough action) This makes the notes to sound better without fully smashing the strings. Its essentially hammering with both hands. Its not that harder system. Jerry was a race car driver could be a good place to start (thats primus). Then theres a stu solo in two parts i think its at this site but if its not its at tabcrawler. ummm... yeah thats all i got.

Unlike most stlyes the ability to tap can very much depend on your bass. mine doesn't like it so i don't do it often but you can get some awesome **** going. That really is all i got.

Hope that helps a bit

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    2 words:
    Chord theory.

The mechanics of tapping just require practice. To actually know what you're doing, you have to know how to form a chord. Without that, it's like playing really poorly ... but fast. :rolleyes:

Best bet, do a search for instrucitonal videos covering the technique or get a teacher.
    I can't remember one to recommend, sorry.

8. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    i learned tapping from jerry was a race car driver (i love that song)

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Stew Hamm's, instructional video "Slap Pop and Tap for Electric Bass" has all the info you need to learn how to tap.

The search function is also a good tool to use to reasearch this info