1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I recently acquired a 90 MIJ Precision.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LT131, Nov 24, 2017.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    The bass looks great, no fretwear or obvious signs that it has been tinkered with or modded.

However, there is too much relief for a good action and the truss adjuster feels stuck. No give either way and I am not willing to turn any harder than I have already.

It this common? Any suggestions as to how to get that sucker to turn?

It is returnable but I really want this thing to work so all suggestions are welcome!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Many of the MIJ's that I have serviced have had the truss rod adjusted to the limit. The problem is that nut can get jammed onto the end of the threads on the rod, and it seizes there. It needs to be backed off, removed and have a spacer washer installed to return to adjustability. This can be a problem, but first off - do not attempt to tighten the truss rod nut any further. If you can't back it off, take it to a luthier/tech and get them to deal with it. If they bust it the fix is on them. If you bust it .... well it's your problem.

3. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Fortunately it can be returned. I'll give it some careful effort but not paying a luthier. If the shop can fix it fine. Bummer, such a nice bass.

4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the truss adjuster out. It was indeed maxed. Do you know of anything easily found that would function as a spacer?

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
  6. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    mesaplayer83 likes this.
  7. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Cool - glad to help