Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I recently received my new Dillion Music Man copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Aug 22, 2003.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I recently received my Dillion VMB400 (Music Man clone) and all I can say is "Wow!!!" I'm really impressed with the craftsmanship on this bass.

Not only does it look awesome it has a great feel and sounds incredible through my rig, even with the stock passive pickup.

I'll attach a pic along with my other MM Stingrays. The black ray cost me $1200 USD, the blue one $800 (used) and the Dillion $374 after shipping. However, the Dillion didn't come with a case or gig bag.

The only drawback to the Dillion is it was shipped to me with the strings practically laying on the neck and I had to make several truss rod adjustments to get it to play right. Other than that, I'm completely impressed

[​IMG]

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Nice family. The Dillion looks like the girl next to her twin brothers if you get what i'm saying. Looks good, glad that it sounds good, i'll pass the word along to my student [yeop-a whole 1], and to others that make comments bout my real Ray5 for a cheaper alternative in 4 string format. Looks really nice though, if i had the money and desire, i'd consider getting one as a back up to my Ray5. That's all

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the body looks a bit bigger...is that how it is or is it just an optical illusion caused by the control plate being set at a different angle?

Anywho, I dig it. I love natural finishes and maple boards. The black one is damn nice though...

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think that the dilion is sitting closer to the camera than the others

steve

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Where did you get that Translucent Teal Stingray with the String Mutes?! I've always wanted a Trans. Teal/Rosewood Ray with mutes, but they took them off in '95. Is that a pre-95, Stingray EX or what? Its beautiful. I want it.

~Patrick

6. So where did you buy it from, if you don't mind my asking? Also it looks like you could swap out the control plate and pickup for a real MM control plate, EQ and pickup and you'd just about have a Stingray.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

ed

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Very nice Flywheel! You got yourself a beauty there. Gotta love the maple neck and white pearl pickguard on top of the natural finished body.

One little suggestion for you is to swap out the bass boost pot (the one closest to the input jack) with a two way push/pull pot and wire it parallel / series. This will give your bass added tonal versatility. Look at the picture of my VMB500-5 below, you would never know the bass boost pot has been swapped out for the two way pot.

Enjoy your new toy. You can change your wallpaper now you have a pic of your Dillion, but you're welcome to keep my pic.
    Cheers,

[​IMG]

8. one of my friends had a Dillion 5 string MM clone and he probably would have kept it had he made an effort to play 5 string. He pretty much played it here and there and gave up on the transition\accomodation.

I gotta admit it was a pretty sweet sounding bass........hope you enjoy it.

9. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    Actually the body is about the same. I think what you're seeing is the body doesn't taper back like the Rays do. This makes the body look a bit wider--I thought the same thing myself after I took the pic. The Dillion fits just fine in my Stingray hardshells but it's a bit snug where it doesn't taper.

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I picked the Teal Ray up from a guy in Louisburg, KS. This is the most beautiful bass I have ever owned (and I thank you for the compliment on that.) I'm second owner and the guy that bought this bass originally said he got it in Texas. It's a 1991 Stingray according to Ernie Ball (the black is a '96) and that explains why it doesn't have mutes. That's interesting that you know when they took them off b/c I didn't even know that. The thing I like the most about this bass is the birdseye maple. It's sooooo heavy that even the headstock is full of birdseye.

Now I'm interested in why you like the mutes. I knew that's what the were but I never could guess how people would use them???? Is it to get a real soft jazz tone if you want or something?

11. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I bought this bass from Tony at musiciansmate@aol.com. John Dillion suggested that I contact Tony to get the bass b/c they're pretty hard to find. My Canadian friend Jon (bassman) who posted the pic of his five string also had purchased a bass through Tony so I trusted working with him on Jon's advice.

Jon (bassman) is the one who sold me on this bass after he sent me photos and explain the quality of the hardware, which is extremely important when you're buying an imported bass (at least I believe it to be.)

Oh... and by the way bassman...I did replace my wallpaper with this pic but I'm still keeping the pic of your bass b/c it's a great pic!

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Snagged a Dillion 5-string MM copy today off of ebay. Got it for $359.00 new with hard shell case and $1.00 shipping, so I figured it was a good deal. Should be here sometime next week.

Pic:
    [​IMG]

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    It took me a second or two to figure out/realize what was different with the Dillion Ray5. The pickguard/control plates are the same style as the 4 string. I like it though-they come in fretless? That's all

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    It also doesn't have the same sort of body contour as the SR5. For me, this is a plus as I like the body of a SR4 better.

15. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    score! Good job on snagging that Dillion. It's been on Ebay a few different times and they made you a sweet deal to get rid of it. They're not making much profit on that deal since shipping was free!

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How do you feel the quality compares to Epiphone?. I played the Dillion EB3 and it seemed to be a better player then the Epiphone version of the EB3.

17. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    I have a Dillion MusicMan 4 string copy for Sale. If anyone is interested please let me know!!!

I add a Jazz pickup in the neck Position and and the Humbecker can be split with a Push/pull pot.

I have the two pickguards (the original & and a second one with the Jazz neck pickup hole)