I recorded my band today

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I just got back from recording my band at the campus recording studio. I'm taking a recording class, and one of my projects is to record, mix, and master a CD with at least 3 songs by a band. So guess which band I picked?? :D

Anyway, 12 hours of setting up and tracking later, we finished 5 original songs. I've still got a lot of EQing and mixing to do, but I thought I would just give you guys an idea of the sweet gear I had to work with.

Here's my input list:

Kick - AKG D-112
    Snare - Octava Cardioid
    Hi-Hat - Octava Cardioid
    OHL - BLUE Mouse
    OHR - BLUE Mouse
    Floor Tom - Sennheiser E604
    Rack TOms - Sennheiser 421
    Bass and Organ- DI from my BOSS GT-6B and miked at the amp with an EV RE20
    Guitar amp front - DPA 4011
    Guitar amp [open] back - BLUE Mouse
    Lead Vox - Rode NTK

Vocals and Guitar were running into a 4 channel Earthworks Mic Pre. Everything else was into the DigiDesign Control 24 board which controls ProTools. We doubled up most of the guitar parts to give it some more depth. I added some background vocals, which turned out good considering that I've never sang before and I learned the lyrics today. I'll probably be using some slight reverb through the outboard Lexicon processor.

As it stands now, I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds. It's definitely the best sounding recording I've ever been involved with. The best part was the cost. Nothing. :)

I'll probably post an mp3 when I'm finished.
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    really cool man. Sounds like a big project. I have one for my recording class projects due soon. Have to have a complex sound source and illustrate some micing techniques, comb filtering and stuff like that. Any piano players in the Columbia area up for playing for 3 hours for free?