1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I removed the control cavity cover and now it's quiet

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mahcks, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mahcks

Mahcks

Dec 22, 2014
    texas
    So, I bought an Ibanez SR506 today. It played right at the store and when I brought it home. I noticed that the treble pot and mid-range switch was loose, so I tightened them up. I had my tools out already, so I took a peek inside the control cavity and put it back together. Now the output is really low and the mid knob makes a loud scratchy sound. What have I done to my new bass?

I tried a different amp, cable, and battery. There's continuity between the pots and the bridge. There's shielding on the cover, but there's nothing to connect it to ground.

Here's a link with a description of the model: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_...5&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=81&color=CL01

2. Mattykrash

Mattykrash

Apr 4, 2017
    did you find a solution to this? I tightened up a couple of the knobs and now I'm getting the same thing, output low and mid knob makes a scratchy sound.

3. When tightening the nuts on a switch, pot, or jack you should hold it from the back side. This will prevent spinning and causing a short. Check inside to make sure there are no shorts.

Tedward

maurilio and mech like this.
  4. Mahcks

Mahcks

Dec 22, 2014
    texas
    Forgot I made this thread. The problem was the pot was contacting the ground where it shouldn't. The control cavity had conducting paint for the ground so it was obvious that was the case at the time.

Mattykrash likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021