i rescued a bird

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i was walking down the street today...

and i saw something moving on the ground... it was a baby bird

it apparently fel out of its nest... its super small... like less than 4 inches...

so i took it home... and went out to the pet store and bought bird formula and fed it... i made a little nest for it... when i first got him, he was barely moving... now he can't walk around cause hes prolly less than 2 weeks old... but he is moving his head around a little bit since the food gave a him a little bit more energy... and hes chirping too...

i just got home from a meeting and went to go feed him... but hes sleeping... so i'll let him sleep.

my mom and stepdad said it wasn't worth trying to save... i disagree... i hold life above anything... not only human life, but animal life too... i wouldn't be able to live with myself if i just walked past ti and let it die..

sure, he might die.... but atleast i tried to save him... you know?
  2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    That's definitely an extremely admirable thing to do. Are you planning on releasing the bird back into the wild after it grows up? I'm not sure, but I think hand-raising a bird might domesticate it.

3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    once it can live on its own, i'll let it

unless i can find a shelter around here that takes and cares for birds.

but right now its staying.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Whatever you do, don't stick it's head in a vacuum.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ha that's so ironic, my mom and I just hit a bird today!

Me: Nice aim, Mom!
    Mom: trying not to cry...
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    What kind of bird is it. I'll agree that if you hand raise it, you will not likely be able to release it. It probably will not want to leave. You could check around for game farms or smaller zoo type places (there is a small private zoo near us that does this a lot) that might want to take it in. They'll have the vets and experience to maintain it's proper diet and health.
  7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that's exactly what i'm gonna do.

i amde some calls to some people and there is a shelter that does stuff like this, and have taken birds in before.

i don't know what kind of bird it is.
  8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    a local shop gave me some bird formula to mix with water.

how often should i feed him and how much?
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Loud chirping will be a pretty good indicator it's hungry. I guess when it stops chirping, it's full?

10. Good man, Clay. :)

I'm a bird lover too, but am still learning about our friends that fly. Try this link: http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/usnewjersey.htm

Contact the society that's closest to where you live. The people at these organizations are very passionate about birds, and will probably be able to narrow down, or tell you exactly which species you saved.

If this bird survives (let's hope so) you two might just end up surfing the web together like this jackdaw! http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/gallery/kaiser2.html

A round of applause for Clay!!! :hyper:

Mike :cool:
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Would it chirp while eating?
  12. :cool: very cool of you. i hope it goes well for you and the bird. have you named it or anything?
  13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> You have to feed the little guy every couple of hours. Baby birds require lots of small feedings. It's very hard to
    help them survive. Don't touch him at all and wear a dust mask and rubber gloves while feeding him, as the bugs on our skin and in our breath can be deadly. You're doing the right thing, though.

Good Luck

14. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    What a coincidence... about this same time two years ago i found a baby bird too. It was a good time rasinging it and all.... The best part was how it didn't want to leave. It would always follow us around the yard and it stayed until fall when it got too cold. Whenever it went missing, we'd make a chirping noise and we'd hear him skauk back somewhere.... ahh... good luck with it, its really rewarding in the end
  15. Dude,
    That's awesome. Good for you, bro. I'd never be able to walk by and just let an animal die without trying to save him/her.

Good luck (for you and the bird) with everything.
  16. sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004
    So about a week ago i saw a couple of kids, age twelvish or so, walking around in my front yard, so I peeked my head over the fence and asked "Hey, what the hell are you doing?" Apparently, the same situation, I have a 50 or so foot tall tree in my front yard from which a baby bird had fallen and injured itself. I helped the kids take the bird into a shoebox of mine and i let them take it home (across the street). I had the same deal when i was a 11 or 12 years old, i found a baby possum i think, seperated from its mother and injured, and so i took it and put in a shoebox, went to the pet store, spent whatever money i had on powdered milk and some other stuff, made the shoebox nice and cozy, took it home, fed it and it survived a couple of days, then died. I was pretty upset. You cant help but try and it sucks. You tried and thats really all that should count to you, but it's pretty much a situation you cant help. The fact that you really care is what counts.
  17. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i was listening to the new green day cd when i found him, so i named him st jimmy.

unfortunately, the bird died yesterday morning. i was at graduation practice but my mom said he was breathing really fast then just stopped. guess his heart just couldn't take it, along with any injuries he sustained from the fall.

i buried him yesterday.
  18. That's too bad, Clay. :(

You did try to save him, and also passed a very important test in life, IMHO. :cool:

Mike ;)
  19. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm sorry, clay :(

my wife tried to rescue a birdie one time, it passed on her too, we were both really bummed out.