1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Rolled a Natural 1 for the Day.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Horrible day. Every few minutes I had a choice before me with two options. Everytime I chose the wrong one. =/

Today was my second day of work at the school's physics lab as a helper guy. I wasn't planning on coming in today, but yesterday they asked me if I was and I said "sure" and they told me I'd have stuff to do. Cool. I get there, talk to Guy#1. He tells me "Go talk to Guy#2 when he gets here. You can go over the software together. I wait half an hour until he gets there.

Guy#2: "Uhh... you can go play around with the software and see how the code for the [machine for experiment] works."

Half an hour later:

Me: "Ok, I got it to work. Seems pretty straight forward."
    Guy#2: "Oh... umm... listen, I don't have anything for you to do today... Guy#1 said he doesn't either. He's pretty busy..."

Normally that would be fine. I'd go home. The problem? I live an hour away and I take the bus. It was 10:15am and my bus didn't arrive until 3:07pm. But wait! My friend is taking a summer class. He get's out at 10:30! He said he takes some different bus combination and gets home almost the same time as the normal bus would take him. Can I make it ALL the way across campus and get to him in time?

No. I can't. My shins hurt from running down hill. Alright, I'll go on a computer in the closest building and see what bus combination he likely took and see when the next one happens. 20 minutes? No problem. 47th street bus stop? Let's go.

Wait, where am I? I see... 40th street a ways up the hill.... crap. Needless to say I didn't make it. So I walk back to the physics lab building and ask if there is anything for me now. Nope. God dammit. Back on a computer, check for another schedule. Same deal. Same bus, 20 minutes from now. But now I'm closer and know where to go.

I get there in time and get on the bus. w00t. What's this? The bus is going DOWN hill? So I could have used any of the other stops along the way? (I was a street away when I walked up hill so I didn't even see the stops) Great.

I get downtown and I remember the computer telling me I need to go south a bit to the next stop. Well... people are going one way... maybe I should follow them? But I don't see a stop anywhere. I'll make a big circle instead, see my bus, run across a busy street, and barely miss it and have to wait for the next one anyway.

My shins hurt as hell from running up and down hill with a 20lb backpack, but at least I'm home. And will get payed for the entire hour and 45 minutes I spent at work. At $8.01/hr, how can I lose?

2. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register

Feb 3, 2006
    Longview, TX
    On the plus side, it's Friday night and the beer's cold. And Ratatouille opened this weekend.

3. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    20? That's all? Sheeeeiiii.... kids gettin' soft these days! LOL

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Transit mishaps were my bread and butter while living in Toronto.

Good job :p

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've never been to Detroit. But we have pretty steep hills. Kind of changes things.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sounds like a pretty naff day.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Metro bus?

If so, did you use their trip planner feature?
    http://transit.metrokc.gov/
    It's almost the only way I could ever get around on the metro busses. I also had great luck calling the phone number on the back of the bus schedules and telling them exactly where I was and where I wanted to be, they told me which bus to catch and where and when and all of that good stuff…

If you were in Tacoma dealing with Sound Transit, then I have no advice...

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    ha +1 I have a lot of those in Montreal too.

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yes, I used the trip planner. Only way I could figure out how to get home. Only problem is that it doesn't list the smaller stops the buses stop on. That's why I had to walk all the way up the hill and missed the bus when I could have gone half-way up and probably caught it. =/

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021