Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i s this amp any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kaboom133, Jan 4, 2002.

1. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I'm looking for a new amp. This will be my second amp, my first being a little squier practice amp, so i don't know much about the subject. I was looking at musicians friend, and since i don't have much money, a cheap rogue amp cought my eye. It is a RB-120BT combo, and it's 120 watts, and has a 15 inch speaker. it is $199. Is this a good amp, and if not, could you please suggest one of simalar size and power that is?

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    click here
    or here

for that price you cant really do much better new, so youll most likley have to go used. just go to any guitar store near you and take your own bass and play all the amps you can. if you find one you like then shop around and try to find it used.

youre gonna get a bunch of reccomendations from other people but i highly suggest you try out what you can for yourself. if it sounds good to you, who cares who makes it

:)
    chad

3. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    thanks. you just saved me a lot of trouble. and to think, i almost bought it. :eek: i'm looking at a crate amp now, i heard they're good.

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You can do alot better than a Crate... try a Yorkville or Carvin if you're looking for something cheap yet good sounding.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    you could try Peavey

6. Laddieo

Laddieo

Dec 16, 2001
    Aridzona
    My first amp was a Peavey 1x15 combo. I think it was something like 260W. It rocked my world.

If you're going to do this thing. Do yourself a favor and plan ahead.

What follows is my (very) humble opinion... and experience.

If you're going to play with a drummer, you're going to need AT LEAST 200W. For guitarists, figure AT LEAST double their total wattage. You don't have to use it, and it's never a competition. But without it, you may find yourself asking others to turn down (which is sometimes easier for guitarists than drummers). Keep in mind that Bass frequencies require A whole lot more wattage to reproduce than say, guitars or horns. It's just the nature of the beast.

Also, you've got to consider the actual number of speakers you use. A single 100W guitar head, a kind hearted drummer, and a 200W bass rig could work out fine... Unless he's running the head into a pair of 4x12 cabinets and you've got a single 15 inch speaker. However, in that case, by adding an extension cabinet, like another 15, or a 4x10 (I added a 2x15!), you could increase your volume without increasing your wattage. LEARN ABOUT IMPEDENCE, AMPS AND SPEAKERS BEFORE YOU START ADDING CABINETS !!!

Also, in general, bigger speakers (like 15's) are going to "focus" about 20 to 30 feet from the speaker. so if you're standing RIGHT in front of your amp, it's not going to sound as loud as it will 25 feet away. On the other hand, many people feel that smaller speakers (like 10's) don't reproduce the low notes as well, even if they are easier to hear from close by.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue for you too much. There's lots to learn (in addition to the instrument). And remember, this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it... and others may disagree.

Here's some added info. It's a little dated, but if you're looking at used gear it should help quite a bit.
    Combo Amp Shootout

Have Fun !!