1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I said I'd never do it: One pickup, passive, flatwouds?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 14, 2010.

1. I can recall a number of times where I've stated that I would never own bass with one pickup.

That has changed.

I love the look of singlecut body's but I could never see myself having one of my own.

That has changed.

I'm an active guy. I have been since the day I got my first active bass and I thought I'd never consider going passive again.

That has changed.

I've never liked flatwounds and once twice have said "they suck" or something to that effect at least twice.

That has changed.

All thanks to this bass:

ClementBodyLowRes.jpg

GroupShotLowRes.jpg

I really just wanted a nice fretless and nothing seemed to really grab me at a price I could handle and then John Nam (who also took these fantastic pictures! Also, the picture is of his collection.) hit me with a PM about this Tom Clement that he was willing to part with. A first, I wasn't sure. It was everything that I was not. But, after taking a listen to some of the clips at ClementBass.com I decided to take the plunge and WOW... it's incredible. Usually, I try to reserve my judgement until I've had a bass for at least 2 weeks but I really couldn't help myself this time. Not even 48 hours have passed since the FedEx guy dropped this at my door and I'm smitten, lol. I wanted mwah and I wanted growl and this has both in spades. Mr. Clement you make some AMAZING basses!

I won't say that this will stay with me forever and ever or anything like that (last time I did, the bass was sold in under 2 weeks) but this particular bass has serious staying potential ;). I still GAS for a Pedulla Pentabuzz just to try one out again but this easily gives them a run for their money. Maybe I'll pick on up and AB the two? Who knows :D?

Now how many of ya'll thought it was a P-Bass :p?

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    VERY cool bass. Congrats

3. Stanley Pugh

Stanley Pugh

Jun 14, 2008
    Looks great, I bet the feel is awesome.
    congrats:hyper:

4. -raises hand- :bag:

5. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    Is that Yamaha bass yours? What model is it?

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Heck, I at first thought it was a Pbass.. and I knew you got this before anyone TB did! :D

Very cool KwesLove, Im jealous.

7. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I hate you Kwesi! :rolleyes:

Nice bass! :)

8. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    You TRAITOR Kwesi! How dare you!!!:D
    Thats a well rounded collection I would say..

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    That's a beaut! I like the way the horn rides up the neck.

10. Looks great :cool:

11. Thanks guys!

The picture, is not of my collection but John Nam's (at some point or another), though I can't say I would mind having a stable like that at all :D.

@LaBassGuy the Yamaha is a BBG5 :)

12. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    Well you know who to turn too if you get sick of it. I've been on the same fretless quest.

13. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    That is the only single cut I have ever wanted.

14. I too assumed P bass, but was pleasantly surprised. There is something about Clement basses that really draws me. Some day when I play in a setting where such an instrument would be well served, there is only one place I would look.

15. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    After reading kwesi's comments on the thread 'Is there anything a P-bass can't do', I was expecting an about-face and seeing P-bass content here!

But I guess there are other passive, single pup basses out there after all! Who knew? :smug:

16. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :D :bag: ;)

17. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    That's a heck of a cool bass collection!! Congrats, man!

:bassist:

18. Clement Basses: Wishbass's purity, Alembic's workmanship, Gibson pricetags. What's not to love?

(It's hyperbole, don't roast me!)

19. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I did it ages ago..
    [​IMG]

:D

20. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    that bass looks gorgeous! congrats, man! welcome back to the aggressive tone filled world of passive electronics! whee! also, I want some soundclips of that beast!