I saw a ErnieBall Musican OLP Bass today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agyeman, Sep 6, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I went to Denmark street today to have a look around the music stores and I saw some of the OLP basses. Unforuntly, since I am a lefty, I couldn't play any as they don't make this bass lefty :(

First impressions is WOW! For such a cheap bass (£250), it offers a good spec. The model I saw up close, seemed to have an Alder Body with a natural finsh, black pickguard, 2 band Active Electronics (not sure, but it had 3 control knobs), and a maple fingerboard. The bass looks very strong and well put together. The neck looked beautiful. The bridge looks similar to a real stringray bridge, but seem to be made of a cheaper metal. Overall size wise, the OLP bass seems to be a little smaller than "real" Stingrays, but not as small as Sterlings. The headstock is the same shape, but has just has OLP on the headstock, and lincensed by ErnieBall on the back of the headstock.

Every store had at least one of these basses, and they all seemed to be pretty consistant, quility wise.

Unforuntly I couldn't test it sound wise, but the music store guys said they were very impressed with the basses. Maybe some right-handed brits who live in London could go and check em out and play em. I wish the damn things were made lefty.
  2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I got the official spec:

MM2 4 String Bass

Body material:
    Basswood Solid (Colours)
    Elm (Natural)
    Frets: 21 Jumbo
    Scale: 34"
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machineheads: Open Gear
    Pickups: 1 Musicman style 4 string
    Electrics: Volume, Bass & Treble
    Bridge: Heavy Duty 4 string Bass

Not as good as I first thought, No active preamp or alder body but still a good deal.
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    BTW, anyone seen the new Musicman price list? Big price increasements!!!

StingRay 2 EQ £1305.00
    StingRay 3 EQ £1345.00
    StingRay 3 EQ +Piezo £1625.00
    StingRay 3 EQ Left Hand £1425.00
    StingRay 5 string £1525.00
    StingRay 5 string Left Hand £1605.00
    StingRay 5 string + piezo ...£1845.00
    Sterling £1395.00
    Sterling + Piezo £1675.00
    Sterling Left Hand £1475.00
    Shell/Pearloid Pickguards +£40.00
    Matching Headstock .+£80.00