1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I saw a light in my Neo when I was playing....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Feb 18, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was jamming tonight and my guitar player said he saw a light fo off in my cabinet, like it lit up. I thought he was trippin. Anyway, we were having practice and it was no louder than we usually play but, I was using a new distortion pedal and when I turned it on a light came on above the left too woofer. Needless to say I immediately disengaged the pedal and didn't see the light again. But it's not the first time it's happened. It doesn't happen all the time but its happened a couple times. What is it, what does that mean? I can only assume this is a bad bad thing. Does anyone know? It was a white light btw.

2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have a 410 neo and I'm pushing it with a GK 1001 rb too

3. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    It might be a bulb that acts as a safety when pushing too hard.

I have a old SWR goliath that had one.

4. sclift

sclift

Oct 31, 2012
    Tweeter protection lamp?

5. Those are current limiter lamps to prevent tweeter horn burn out. Distortion pedals are VERY hard on tweeters. That's why guitar cabs don't use them. They are there for protection and "normal" with large amounts of power (like from overly high distortion levels).

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So it was from the distortion pedal?? And, I should really watch my ass when I'm using those types of effects? Does dialing the horn knob on the back and or dialing down the tweeter on the amp or both help prevent this light from coming on? I just bought this cab about a month ago and I don't want to blow it up/damage it already by pushing it too hard.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    And am I safe in saying that if I am utilizing the bi-amp feature that the horn dial on the back is rendered "useless" while in bi-amp mode??

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    It's pretty common to disengage the tweeter when using distortion. I'd just do that.

9. By "disengage" you mean turn it fully down-off, or actually unplug the wretched thing :eek::confused:

10. Yes the tweeter will then be controlled from the "Tweeter" control on the amp head only.

11. Fully off from the amp head using the control on the head. If you are using a non biamp G-K head with the NEO series if you switch the cab to biamp the horn will be disconnected.

12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Just turning it down will be fine. But yeah, if you bi-amp, I'd turn it down on the amp.

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thanks all, good info as always from the forum.