1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Saw Dragonforce yesterday (somewhat of a rant...)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Twistad, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Overall, it was a pretty good show, despite the numerous technical problems and retarded fans.

The first band was Icewind, a Montreal power metal band. I must say that their music was pretty bland, however they really seemed to be grateful for playing at the venue. The crowd was also cheering the whole time. The members of the band came up many times in the pit during the rest of the show, it felt like they were DragonForce's fans opening for them.

Second band was Sancity, they were pretty cool, good headbanging stuff.

Third band comes out, Protest the Hero, which i saw with The Bled a few weeks ago. For those who don't know them, they are awesome. Post-hardcore punk metal with an awesome bassist, they are very complex and conceptual. As they started playing, some people started booing them and chanting Dragonforce, this is where i realized that power metal fans, at least a good part of them, are such losers it' incredible. I seriously felt like hitting most of them, i mean, how can you have that sort of attitude when a band is playing on stage?

I wouldn't do this for any band playing, but most importantly, there was an awesome one playing. Anyway, i got pretty pissed and told a few of them to shut up. I literally wanted to go berserk on all of the. What a lack of respect.

So, they finished their set and left and i continued arguing with the retarded fans for a while. Still, i felt like leaving but i had to remember that i had come for DragonForce and still, they were the band i wanted to see the most.

I finally got over the thing with Protest the Hero and managed to enjoy DragonForce who absolutely rocked for more than 2 hours.

An awesome show, except for the fans and the many sound problems that occured during pretty much all the bands.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    aaah yes, Powermetal *falsetto voice on* the goolden wiiiiiings of the dragooooon are shiiiiining*

I'm not going there.

3. I'm jealous beyond words that you caught the 'Force live.

I spose power metal is indeed elitist, but is nothing when compared to the crusty, adolescent-like immaturity of black metal.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    "Dream Theater sucks."
    -Alexi Laiho

5. "Post-hardcore punk metal" hahaha. They are just metalcore, pretty cool band though.

6. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I agree that defining metal-ish bands can end up bordering on the ridiculous (i.e. we play "post-post-screamocore power punk metal with some black doomcore influences"), but post-hardcore punk metal is actually a pretty good description of Protest the Hero. Anyway, the bottom line is that I can hardly wait to see this tour.

7. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Can anyone here give me a one-sentence definition of "post-hardcore?"

Thanks,

~John

8. From wikipedia: Post-hardcore, as a musical genre, is marked by its precise rhythms and loud guitar-based instrumentation accompanied by vocal performances that are as often sung as whispered or shouted. The genre has developed a unique balance of dissonance and melody, in part channeling the loud and fast hardcore ethos into more measured, subtle forms of tension and release. It shares with its hardcore roots an intensity and social awareness as well as a DIY punk ethic, yet eschews much of the unfocused rage and loose, sometimes amatuerish musicianship of punk rock.

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I had decided that since tickets were so cheap, I could wait on buying them because no one would want to see an obscure non-ozzfest metal band from Europe, right? Wrong, they sold out about a day later. :scowl:

10. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I caught that tour down here in Massachusets. Protest the Hero is a pretty cool group, but it seems odd that they'd be playing with a group like Dragonforce.

11. alexi laiho is sooo not black metal dude.

12. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Thanks, Twistad. That Wiki-thing is amazing.:)

~John

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Not really no.

14. *high falsetto voice* "my soul and my spirit will go onnnnnnn for all eternity".

I've only listened to recordings of these dudes, but SH!T what chops!!

oh, by the way, punk metal=crossover=old school 80s material rooted back to bands like Dirty Rotten Imbesciles, Stormtroopers of Death, and whatever else you can think of

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    power metal > all :cool:

Yes, I am one of those elitists. (not really but I love power metal)

16. Yeah, Laiho ain't black metal.

He is, however, a great guitar player and a jerk of ludicrous proportions.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I thought Children of Bodom was Black Metal...?

Damned metal sub-genres!

18. No worries dude, no one's offended :smug:

However, COB do use some BM elements- keyboard and shrieky vocals.

19. Dragonforce are cool. I used to get drunk with Herman Li (guitarist) in a little London rock club a few years ago, top guy with the most stupidly long hair you'll ever see. :D

They were auditioning for a new bassist a little while back too... had I not been in the US at the time, I'd have gone for it...

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Keyboards and BM !? Carefull what you say there! :mad:

:D