Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I saw Gard Friday night, and you didn't !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Yes indeed Tbers, I met up with our own Gard last Friday night (8/16/02) and all I can say is, when are you and your band coming back to NYC?

Man that guy can play! And the band is fantastic as well. Latin jazz is one of my favs, and these guys lit the place up! I don't think there was anyone sitting down after the second song. Then, as an added bonus, I forgot that Tito Puente Jr. was going to be there as well. I introduced myself to Gard just before their set started and then we talked for about two hours after it ended. A most pleasant evening and some very good conversation. (Yes TBers, we was talkin' 'bout you :D )

Gard man, now you got me Jonesing for a Zon. That NS upright is way outta my reach for now, but, maybe someday.

Why did I drink that monster sized glass of whiskey? :confused: I ordered a double Jameson's on the rocks, but, the barmaid gave me a huge glass that had to have about 6 or 7 oz of booze in it, and being the pig that I am, yes, I drank it all. Well that nice young lady that kept pulling her dress up over her head while dancing offset my being loaded; I guess she'd bought new bloomers that morning and wanted to show them off. Hey, no complaints here. :D

Anyway Gard, it was very nice to finally meet someone from Talkbass. I hope I have the pleasure again in the not too distant future.

Apologies to Joe Nerve and Nino Brown. I'd wanted to catch your bands as well that night, but, Gard and I got caught up talking, and then It was time to go home. Next time, guys.

Mike J.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yessir, Gard is a kick in the pants.

Bassbrobrad and myself were treated to the RMASS CD, and yes, they do light it up! I can't wait to see Gard live one of these days.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    yeah, but I saw him last night...

naked!

;) :eek: :D

4. pie?

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well....i WANT to believe you're joking, i really do...:D

and to bring it all back to gard: i plan on bringin' my rico monico CD to spanish II class eventually. especially since the teacher's edition mentioned Tito Puente (Sr.). "Ms. Volpe, i'm friends with the bass player for tito puente jr.!"

:D

btw-"el cayuco" (with tito jr.) is my fave off that (great) CD.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...shhhhhh...

...I thought that was gonna be our little secret!!! :( :mad:

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Mike -

Thanks for all the kind words! :D

I enjoyed talkin' shop with you man! We definitely hope to play up there again, and this time hopefully I'll be able to see more of the NYC TBer's, especially see them play.

As for me being able to play...guess I fooled another one! :eek: Basically, I just try to stay outta the way up there...

The Zon makes a believer out of everyone that hears it! :D

Don't complain to me about the whiskey man, heck you got me to drink about twice as many beers as I'll normally tolerate in a day. :p And yeah...Miss New Bloomers was rather entertaining. She continued on long after you left.... ;) She hadda be hopped on something (and it weren't booze either).

Brendan, please use an ampersand in the future when you make an acronym out of my band's name (i.e. RM&SS instead of RMASS). RMASS is far to close to "RaMASS" and I'd prefer not to be thought of that way (although I'm sure you'd enjoy it if I were like that).

The_Bass, yeah, I like pie...

Brad, I enjoy playing "El Cayuco" myself, although I must admit my favorite tune to play is probably "Naked Eye".

Nino & Joe...well, sorry...I WANTED to get out to catch you, but just couldn't make it happen (it's all Mike's fault!!!). Nino, I saw your post with the start time for your gig, but not until yesterday. If I'd known you weren't starting until 10:30, I would have tried harder to get there...in the Village Voice, it looked like you were starting at 8!

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The hell with Gard's artistry!!!

What I always wanted to know about his audiences is - how was the dancing of the "chicas" in the audience????

I bet Gard's bass bump can move some ass rump!!!

I would think playing Gard's lines would get the "sweet mommies" off big time! I'm talking "shake n' bake"!!!

A dancing Latina can be "mas fina"!!!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Artistry??? Sophistry!!!

...mmhmm...the ladies were quite distracting...:D

I resemble that remark!!!!! ;)

Das mah yob, mang!

Nothin' finah...

:cool:

Man, that was a fun trip (well, until the flight home, but that's another story...)

11. yes.. and you're gonna tell it now

:p

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Coincidence? You decide;)

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ....the fish rises to the bait....

:D

(it's just so easy sometimes)

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sounds like either a command performance or an offer you can't refuse, Mike!

:eek:

;)

Wish I could make it out Nino!!!! Knock 'em dead!!!!

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    *meow*

;)

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ....sigh.....OK......if you insist

:p

Fun stuff:

Visiting the Fodera & Epifani shops on Thursday in Brooklyn. Vinnie & Dave at Fodera are great, they spent almost 2 hrs just chatting with myself and a friend that lives in Brooklyn (that also is a sometime TBer, Salsjag). Great guys, in addition to making some of the most incredible instruments on the planet. Didn't get to meet Nick Epifani, but did hang with Bret at his shop for a while, and talked quite a bit about cabinets and such.

Visiting Aguilar on Friday. Dave Boonshoft is also an amazingly nice guy, took a lot of time (well over an hour) of his EXTREMELY busy day to show me around, introduce me to everyone in the shop, and make me play through everything in sight. Lotsa fun, great stuff as you would expect. He's a funny guy too.

The gigs (see above).

Pizza. It really is different there! :eek:

The observation deck on the Empire State Building. Very cool view, and even saw a peregrine falcon!

Most moving moment:

WTC. I cried...:mad: :(

Bummers:

No one from any of the shops could make it out to our gigs...oh well...

Finding out the Bela Fleck & the Flecktones were playing in Manhattan Thrusday night, and having to miss seeing them for the FIFTH STRAIGHT TIME because I hadda gig!

Raining on the afternoon we went to Battery Park.

Worst part of the trip:

The flight home! We took a late flight (for reasons I will not discuss, but were kinda goofy), and missed our connection in Atlanta. Got to the hotel that the airline put us up in at 1:30, got to the room about 2am, got to sleep about 2:30, had to get UP at 4:30am to catch a 6:20 flight (all the later flights were overbooked). Got back to Orlando at about 8, got home around 9:30 (hadda take the wife to breakfast...I was hungry too), took a shower, repacked my stuff, and was at an outdoor gig here in Orlando at 11:30 to start setting up. PLAYED FOR 2 AND 1/2 HOURS OUTSIDE IN THE 96+ DEGREE HEAT AFTER LESS THAN 2 HOURS OF SLEEP.

...ugh...

At least the gig went real well, the crowd dug us, and bought a huge pile of CD's!

I now have a raging headcold though....:p

(you happy now, The_Bass????)

18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Gard, do us South Floridians a big, big favor and try to get your band booked for the next West Palm Beach Sun Fest which has been in late April or early May every year for twenty years.

It is a four or five day lake side music, arts and food event featuring may local, regional and national acts playing many genres of music on several different stages. Latin jazz is always welcomed and very popluar given it is South Florida after all.

If you would like to know how to get booked, I think Sun Fest has a web site. Let me check into it and find out the details. But you gotta follow up, OK?

http://www.sunfest.com

The site has contact information with a wriiten address and phone and fax numbers. Please give it a shot. Your band would be a big hit there, I know.

If you get booked, hubby and I get front row seats...OK?:D

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    We've tried the past couple years to get on the bill at that, and unfortunately failed. Not sure what the problem is, but it feels political....if you catch my drift.

I'm sure we'll make an attempt to do it again this year, maybe we will be more successful. I certainly think we have the credentials to get the gig...

I've actually been to several Sun Fest events as a spectator, and really enjoyed myself, saw Santana there a few years ago.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, get down to West Palm! Then I might be able to actually catch a gig!