Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I saw GWAR last night.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Holy crap, what a show!

They were playing at the Strand in Providence, where I have seen c2b3 and slayer at this venue, but never have I seen anything like this.

First off, the opening bands. Menrsea was pretty good, some decent mid-paced metal/hardcore. Played very tightly and were entertaining. Next up Alabama Thunderpussy, they were great. It was kind of like the bastard child of Zeppelin in their early years and Pantera. Great band, SUPERB bassist. Great tone, great playing, everything. He had an Aluminum necked Kramer, and was running through an Eden head(dunno which one) and an Eden 4x10 and 1x18. Nice sound, plenty deep, and you could hear the bass.

Next up, the almighty GWAR. First off they start with one of their teenage anti-fans, who very quickly gets his head cut-off and the stump of his neck just poured out blood everywhere, and they had this bigass blood shooter in the middle of the stage that kept shooting blood(all fake by the way) into the crowd by the beat of the song. Next up they killed a fake Arnold Schwerzzenagermeister. Which eventually shot blood out of it's cut-off hands, and ripped open it's body exposing all kinds of entrales, which shot blood. Next up was Paris Hilton, who was killed and her entrales shot blood. Then there was Micheal Jackson, who got his face ripped off, and his chest, which shot blood. Then next was the corpse of Laci Peterson, which had a fish in her...vagina. As well as the fetus, which shot blood. Then they had Osama Bin Ladin, who's face got ripped off, and entrales that shot blood. Then there was George Bush, who got his body ripped off by the Penis, and his entrales(I hope I'm spelling this word right) shot blood. Then they did a tribute to Dimebag in the middle of the show, which was cool. And played some other songs. And eventually, came towards the end they had a character called "The Reagenator" which was the combonation of Ronald Reagan and an Abrams M-1 tank. It was like, 9 feet tall on stage, and had his wife inside it. They eventually cut-off it's hands and they shot green stuff into the crowd, and Oderus drove a sword through his chest.

And also in the middle of a song, my friend gave Oderus this little toy helmet he bought at a thrift store before we went, and Oderus put it on and walked over to the mic and...

Oderus"Hey, guess which guy from The Village People I am?"
    Beefcake"Uh...the Cop?"
    Oderus"No, I'm the Indian."

Great great time. I was so wet when the show was over. After their encore they brought out like, 3 blood cannons, and just drenched the crowd. It was so fun.

I also touched Oderus' giant foam penis too. And touched one of his shoulder spikes.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I love Gwar. It's funny, people who don't like their music like their shows. It's cool, but sad at the same time. I like the music.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Kind of wish I could've seen it. I had a friend who loved them, and claimed to have smoked crack with GWAR.

How much blood do they use each set..?

4. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Ragnarok was a cool album and the shows are loud and fun. Everything else... :rollno:

5. I love their music too. A friend of mine went there and he didn't even like GWAR. That was kind of irritating

And they use a lot of blood.

6. Hey, I could have gone and LIKED GWAR, but two factors

A.) I bought drum stuff
    B.) You had a full car.

So I'll shut up now.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Gwar rules!

8. Did you get peed on ???? I always find a GWAR show to be dissapointing if im not soiled in some fashion.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    :eek: :rollno:

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The show sounds pretty cool, but, dude, the word is entrails. :D

11. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i want to see a Green Jelly show, very badly, Gwar is sweet too

your socks they stink ur feet they smell, u never take a bath, SICK OF YOUOUUUOUUOOU

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "I love puppies.. when they're road kill..."

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That reminds me of the last time I went to Church....

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Reminds me of the Drive By Truckers song about "The day GG Allin came to town..." :D

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I would like to see Gwar. But I doubt that they will come to Iceland. :meh:

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    *jealous*

You people that live in or close to big cities have no idea how lucky you are. I have to make a fricking journey ($$$) to see any decent shows :( .

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    (animal noise)ing an Animal. :D

If anyone sees Gwar... don't wear clothes you don't mind being soaked in fake blood/vomit/semen/various bodily fluids.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Man, that is cool that you saw them at the Strand... I think that is where I saw them (or Lupo's, can't remember), many many years ago... It way too long to wash all of that crap out of my hair, iirc.

19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Lupo's became the Strand, so it's basically the same thing.

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

so, I guess that explains that... :D

What's Babyhead and LivingRoom called now?