I saw Incubus diary and what the bassist said dissapointed me a lot

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Apr 1, 2002.

1. juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    He said that one of the advantages of being the bassplayer is that nobody recognizes him so he can roam freely and no one bothers him. And he actually proved it when he was walking around the stage before the show and absolutely nobody knew who he was.

Dammit why does this have to happen to bassplayers, I really dont like it.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you were famous and had people hound you wherever you went, I doubt you'd mind so much. Privacy is a good thing.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i actually agreed and smiled at it...

i dont know why you get dissapointed
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I do a lot of sub and fill-in work and have run into guys who I've played with who can't remember me :eek: Forget about the audience :rolleyes:

The only people who remember bass players are band leaders trying to find one :cool:
  5. LayLow

Mar 17, 2002
    bassists get to choose hwo much publicity they get, everywhere from dirk lance, to les claypool. les claypool gets so much attention for being overthetop on everything, and dirk lance is just good
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I thought it was awesome. wow, you would have to be over here, when i typed "I thought that was awesome" i typed it REALLY fast, so much so it surprised me. god only knows my POWER!
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  8. Gekobrain

Nov 17, 2000
    You decide how much attention you want. Its just as a bass player your part of the rythm section so your more concentrated on keeping the beat opposed to being in the crowds face. But if you think bass players don't get recognized how do you think the drummer feels??!!!!!
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Thats why I play with cute chick singers......nobody
    looks at me, and I like it:)
  10. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ......on the other hand, I love to be noticed!!!:D
    Really, I´m a kinda shy guy, but when I´m onstage, I become a diferent animal..... I love to interact with people and all that stuff.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  11. I wouldn't be able to recognize anybody in that band BUT the bassist! His face is plastered on the front of one of the more recent BassPlayer zines.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    that's so true!
    at least, as a bassist, you can move freely onstage... while drummers are back there behind his drumkit...
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i am of the camp that believes that a bassist's recognizability is directly related to his role in the band, coupled with his(/her?) ego.

thus the idolatry of flea, sting, mccartney, claypool, clarke, et al.
  14. I saw them last year and he walked past me. Nobody noticed him apart from me which was cool.

- Russ
  15. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Then again I have really long red hair, run around shirtless with my bass slung up to my stomech and headbang alot and roam the stage. I refuse to go unnoticed!!!

But I do see the point of Dirk saying that because at their popularity going out for a burger has to really suck on being pestered constently by fans. I mean being recognized does have its advantages but its at the cost of privacy.

Then again...

..I still get a kick on how I was more popular then our former singer.:p
  16. Marsh

Mar 15, 2002
    Hayward, CA
    Hey party people.

Here's my thing: The average fan- and by average fan, I mean that non-musical instrument playin' fan of music- doesn't know the difference between the guitar and the bass. To him/her, I think that it's just another sound. In other words, they don't listen down to bass parts and don't hear how the bass is lockin' up with the kick and they don't hear what the bassist is doin' harmonically vs. the guitar and vocal melodies. The average person, hears the song as a whole. And that's cool, so long as they dig the band and are shakin' it and havin' a blast.

That's why unless the bass player is up on the mic or is always soloin' or is in someway interacting with the crowd on some level, the average fan won't pick the bass player outta the band. They've never had to. And the band, for the most part to them, is the singer... Which is still okay. :)

That's why Dirk isn't recognized all that much... No one knows to look for him...
  17. I liked what he said, but i would wouldnt i? He said while bowling to camera after hitting a strike

"You know, with creative editing you could make it look like I hit a strike every time."

Made me chuckle anyway. Hey as long as other bassists know who I am, i dont care. My role as a personality in the band is not important, the singer has to hold the attention, not me

PS Incubus' singer is a "pin-up" so Dirk cant really hold attention in that way
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    What diturbed me, was in the "Rolling Stone" article, Brandon and the drummer admitted to peeing on each other in the shower!:eek: Kinda like a "piss fight" thing. Dude, that's sick!!!
  19. I'm going to engage in blatant generalization and stereotyping here and say that while shallow girls go for lead singers, the interesting ones go for bassists. I'm not working from a very big data set here--just personal experience--but it's fascinating to see how most girls go crazy for vapid losers like Anthony Kiedis or Nick Hexum. Meanwhile, some of the cooler girls I've met adore Flea or P-Nut because, well, they lay down the groove that makes the booty shake.

I recall that Eddie Murphy did an amazing standup routine about the way even ugly guys like Barry White or Mick Jagger would have women crawling all over them once they started singing. It's been a while since I've seen it, though.