Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I saw Maynard Ferguson last night!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by macool, Apr 21, 2002.

1. I went to Mattoon, Illinois yesterday to a county Jazz Band festival and competed with my high school jazz band. We didn't do so well, but that's beside the point. After all the high school bands were done playing Maynard Ferguson and his Big Bop Nouveau Band played at the school. It was absolutely the best concert I have ever been to. The energy was through the roof and he is an awesome trumpet player. This experience has furthered my belief that (although rock is good) jazz is were its at. Has anyone else seen him or even know who he is?

2. I haven't seen him, but I know who he is. Old Canadian (I think) guy who can scream pretty high on the trumpet. Supposedly has a super-tight band. He's playing right in the area of my school May 4 or 5th, conveniently on the day I'm planning on leaving for home in the morning. Geez, what a jerk. :)

3. I remember seeing him in the UK when I lived there 20 years (or more) ago - he was known as Maynard "It-Must-Be-In-The-Stratosphere" Ferguson (not without good reason). He still kicks arse, and his chops are incredible!

- Wil

4. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    yeah i saw Maynard Ferguson at Radnor High School in PA a week or so ago...pretty impressive, really can play trumpet like hes 20 years old! hes got some good musicians with him too, young cats right out of college! he did a cool indian song too - i dig indian classical music!!!!!!

5. Yeah. That Indian song was very outstanding. One of the high points of the show.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Oh My God ....... is Maynard still alive???? My high School jazz band opened up for him and I'm 46 years old!!! And he was old then!!! Last time I saw him in concert he would let the young kids(then) take long solos so he could walk off stage and take a powder :D He has been using college kids that want to make a name for themselves in his band since the mid 70's. high energy but, sterile, mechanical jazz. just play the dorian mode and let maynard screeech and you'll get your pay check.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I don't know if Maynard Ferguson really counts as a "jazz" musician. My high school jazz band instructor was a trumpet player and one day I mentioned Maynard Ferguson and he said something unpleasant about the guy. He does however have unimaginably incredible chops and his music is very energetic. I'd be willing to pay to see one of his shows.

8. I saw him here in New Zealand about 10 years ago, and was quite impressed. He surrounds himself with young Berklee graduates who are hot, and so always has a top band. When I saw him, he had a wicked, wicked pianist, a guy called Christian, who was 19!!!! I know what you mean about jazz musicians, many do run him down. He is perhaps better described as being "a jazz flavoured show band".

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I thought the same thing!

When I was in high school every trumpet player wanted to be Maynard. One of my friends in college even had a dog named Maynard. :rolleyes:

I always liked Bill Chase better. :)