I saw Nine Inch Nails Saturday night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by discoboo, May 22, 2005.

1. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    The wife and I road-tripped to Atlanta to see them at a place called the Tabernacle (a beautiful old church...too bad Charleston lacks a music club like this, but I'll save that rant for later) and I must say it was an amazing experience. The venue was really small and we got down to about the third row, depending on which way the crowd was moving. The songs are just so powerful, especially when you are sharing them with a mass of your fellow man (and woman). I saw NIN on the first Lollapalooza, but that style of music wasn't my cup at the time so I didn't think much of it. This time around...it was so exhilirating that when it was over I was exhausted. You know you've seen a good show when you leave tired and as sweaty as the band. The power of music never ceases to amaze me!!!
  2. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    They are superb live.
    Too bad the new album was so bad.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Did Trent need a walker to make it to the microphone? :D I haven't heard any of the new album yet- I suppose I should go to Amazon and listen to the clips. "The Fragile" was a fantastic album...how is the new one bad?
  4. I'm so jealous. The guitarist in my band went to that show and another one in/around Atlanta over the weekend with some of our friends from high school. He lucked out and got the ticket, they were all sold out when we tried (the day after they went on sale..). He ran into our friend at work, and he happened to have an extra ticket and a ride down there, so he was just in the right place at the right time I guess.

I didn't really like this album as much as his previous stuff though. Of course, I said the same thing about The Fragile, but its grown on me since I bought it and I like it a lot now. I guess it just takes time to get past the switch and look at it as a whole new thing.
  5. +1 the new album was terrible
  6. I saw them at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, right after the Downward Spiral was released. It was one of the most intense and energetic shows I've seen (and all this guy behind me could do was stare at the walls...must've been good stuff)

I saw them 2 or 3 times after that with varying degrees of intensity. Nothing will ever top that Fox show.
  7. I saw them at Coachella this year and I must say they definetely kicked a$$. THe bass player was great as well, Jeordie (spelling?) or as most know him as Twiggy from Manson & a Perfect Circle. It was awesome to see someone on guitar who grew up in good ol' Torrance as well. Trent performed real well too I felt.
  8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    did The Dresden Dolls open up for them that night? i know they are on tour together but have the occassional seperate shows. i saw the Dolls Friday night here in DC without NIN. They were much better than i had anticipated. still havent seen NIN though. :(
  9. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    yeah, the dreaden dolls opened the show. they were alright, i suppose, at least with what you can do with piano and drums. the drummer busted his kick drum pedal and threw it in the crowd.
    i like the new album. it's a 5 hour drive from charleston to atlanta, so we had plenty of time to listen to it. whenever i get a new record i always keep it in the car with me because i can pay more attention to it rather than just having it on the stereo at home. anyway, i like it lots. there were some people on line that said they didn't care for it at first but it grew on them.
  10. Amen.
    About a month ago I got to see As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Winter Solstice, and Throwdown.......need I say more? :bassist: :D
  11. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I actually like the new album. Better than I liked The Fragile anyway. Even Trent said in an interview in Spin recently that he wasn't that fond of The Fragile. I think With Teeth sounds more like Downward Spiral, which I really enjoyed. Evidently he's cleaned up, too. I like the way he sounds now.