I saw Ravi Shankar last night! - any bassists into Indian music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Nov 13, 2002.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I had the honor of seeing the great Ravi Shankar last night playing at the magnificent Kimmel Center in Philadelphia! He was playing with his daughter, Anoushka (who injured her hand and couldn't play too much, so Ravi played the 2 halves of the concert).
    Let me tell you!! You talk about real musicians! This man is 82 years old and you should have seen him play! The 2 tabla players were absolutely unbelievable! The whole concert was about 3 hours long and they only played 4 ragas + a tabla duel.
    It was an honor to see Ravi, since he only plays in select venues because of old age.

Any bassists into Indian music? I love it!! The band Shakti (with John McLaughlin) turned me onto Indian music (Shakti was a fusion band though). But I extended my tastes a little to include classical North Indian music and Carnatic (Southern).
    Indian musicians are some of the most talented musicians in the world, no doubt about it. It fascinates me!
    If Ravi or Anoushka Shankar come around your area, I suggest you check it out!! It opens your musical senses immensely!!
    Check out www.ravishankar.org for dates for Ravi and Anoushka.
  2. I'm not too deep into Indian music but my sister is into it also Arabian,.. I havent listened her cds too much.
    Any wa, I saw Trilok Gurtu once in Argentina. He is a tabla player who also plays drums and other weird percussion instruments of his invention. He gave me a pair of drumsticks he used in the clinic. :) Have you heard anything from him?
  3. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    We as bassists should be in to any and all music. There aren't too many forms of music that don't have a bass in there. And if they don't, there is something to be drawn from and applied to our instrument. I like Trilok Gurtu (tabla) and some of the vocal music of older Indian films. If Ravi floats your boat...then Rag(a) On, dude! Peace.;)
  4. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Indian music... My parent's friend john had a couple of musicians over for a little party. the tabla player blew my mind
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - I think Indian music is very interesting and their approach to improvisation is very interesting. I saw a band recently that was an Indo-Jazz fusion!!
  6. It's cool stuff, no? I really like the album Zakir Hussain did with Jan Garbarek and John McLaughlin, Making Music.

Current King Crimson low-ender Trey Gunn's solo stuff is also very much in this vein: I've played it for some of my Indian friends, who really dig it. It's impossible to categorize, too.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have an album that Jan Garbarek did with Ustad Fateh Ali Khan and other musicians from Pakistan - close to India ! ;) "Ragas and Sagas".
  8. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    yeh, zakir hussain is definately a master drummer - not only with tablas, but with just about every other percussion instrument. Any one ever listen to Planet Drum stuff? We as bass players should check it out! It's got some sick grooves on it (check out Supralingua). Planet Drum is with Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussain, and countless other top class world drummers, plus a SICK african bass player that grooves like nuts!
    You should also check out Shakti music, incredible fusion!!
    My brother got to see Zakir Hussain and Ali Akbar Khan at MIT in Boston a wcouple of weeks ago - talk about lucky!
  9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    great thread.

for a nice on-line radio show, check out:

wednesdays from 10am to 1pm calif time.

a show called the GLOBAL VILLAGE. wednesday is particularly nice for middle eastern, indian, etc.

10. theydolph

theydolph Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    I also love Indian music. I would recommend Debashish Bhattachcharya who plays Hindustani slide guitar which is an old Hofner archtop with extra strings and a raised nut, and he plays it on his lap with a tonebar slide. Absolutley amazing to listen to.
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great stuff! I saw Ravi with John McLaughlin a few years ago in Oakland when the did the Shakti Revisited tour. Mind bending stuff.
  12. I'm kinda bummed about not seeing L. Shankar when he came to Cornell a few years back. Man, that was dumb of me.
  13. Indian bass player Shri (of Badmarsh & shri)'s solo album Drum, the bass is worth checking out.

he uses a fretless bass he built himself.
    at times his percussive playing sounds a bit like Les Claypool.
    the liner notes are a bit annoyingly pretentious ("you have to live India to experience it") though.
  14. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'm still kicking myself for missing the Shankar concert at the Kimmel!!

My roommate went, and he said it was the most inspiration concert he's ever seen (and he's seen a lot).

I also saw the Shakti Revisited tour - very inspirational, and simply amazing. I got to say hello to Zakir Hussein and John McLaughlin afterwards. They were both very nice people.
  15. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I love Indian music. Any kind of Far Eastern or Middle Eastern (well, any kind of world music for that matter). I especially love the sound of sitars. James Asher's "Tigers of the Raj", is an album I'd recommend for a good blend of Indian music

Anyone ever hear of Graeme Revell? He composes a lot of music scores with Eastern music. I also have an album of his: "The Spirit of Rumi" (based on the writings of the mystic scholar Jalalduddin Rumi). This features a wide range of musicians from different ethnicities (sp?) and Indian and Middle Eastern instruments.
  16. I love sarod music, myself. I can't find decent records anywhere - I'm beginning to think there isn't a single Ustad Ali Akbar Khan CD in the whole of Perth.
  17. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    hey oddentity, i see you live in Consh. i live about an hour from Philly, but you should check out Niacin on Nov. 22nd at the Sedgwick Cultural Center. Bilyl Sheehan, Dennis Chambers, and John Novello make up the band. kind of a funk/fusion trio thing. $20 for tix at 8 PM. I'm gonna most likely head out (no of my buddies can make it though)
    Anyway, if you havent heard Billy Sheehan play, you should!! he's pretty virtuosic! (not the best, but incredible to watch)

18. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have listened to Indian music since about 1980, and love it. I've had a sitar for about 15 years, but don't play it as often as I should. I like the sarod, sarangi, dilruba, esraj, shenai, and surbahar (a bass sitar). I saw Ravi Shankar in Columbus, Ohio a few years ago, and he was amazing. He had lost some of the pyrotechnics, but was still great.
    My senior project in psychology in college was an experiment on the perception of consonance and dissonance of musical intervals, and was based on Indian music.
    I love to turn the lights out, light some candles and incense, and play ragas on my fretless or upright. I especially like a raga called Jogiya (sp?), which uses these notes: Root C, C#, D#,E, F#, G, B, c.
    One thing I've always wanted to do is to put sympathetic strings on my upright bass. I thought I could make a sort of harness that would go over the heel of the neck and would have tuners that would be arrayed under the fingerboard, and could go over a little bridge between the feet on the big bridge. Maybe I'll try it someday.....
  19. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i studied Indian music for several years. I play the sarod and the sarangi. I too saw Shankar last night.

indian music is incredibly spiritual, technical, and in order to understand it fully you really need to spend time in its native land .

great show...

i apply much indian music theory(northern) to my bass playing.

what a way to expand your musical mind !!!
  20. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have been of late VERY influnced (again) by Indian music. The rhythmic concepts emplyed there are a worthy study for any of us!

A couple of recordings I can recommend of bass-centic interests are:
    Tabla Beat Science Live In San Francisco at Stern Grove. It features the dub style bass work of Bill Laswell with Zakir Hussain and Karsh Kale on tablas and Ustad Sultan Khan on sarangi...as well as Midival Pundits and DJ Disk on turntables and electronics. Sorta Bombay meets DnB...very cool, and masterful playing.

Jonas Hellborg/Shawn Lane and V. Selvaganesh:
    "Good People In Times Of Evil". Hellborg is a monster bassist, but here his study and sensitivity to the nuances of Indian music really shines. Just about any Hellborg recording shows his obvious Indian influences, but here teamed with Selvaganesh (a member of Shakti, and a Master of Indian music) it really comes through.