I saw Rite of Strings Last Night!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Funkize you, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    OMG IT WAS AWESOME!!!! Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola, and Jon-Luc Ponty!!!!

Stanley was on DB all night, till the end where he busted out School Days on an Acousic bass... It was at Royce Hall at UCLA. Increadible show.

Sorry, No pics I didnt bring a Camera :*(

But I met all of them! I gotta Shake There hands and Talk about Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever. And Al DiMeola told me he was 19 when he, Stanley, Chick Corea, and Lenny White Recorded "The Romantic Warrior"!!!

My Friend had Stanley Sign his hat, and One guy took his bass in, it was an Alembic. Just to see what he would say, I asked him to play something when we were really close to Stanley Clarke and he got all red

Good Times had by all that night.
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    What tunes did they play? I surmise this was mostly an acoustic event.

Sounds like fun. I'd love to hear Stanley and Jean-Luc with a more harmonically sophisticated guitar player in an acoustic setting. Nothing against Al, he's good at what he does. I think John McLaughlin or Larry Coryell would fill the bill. John Stowell comes to mind as well, but he's have to get a bigger volume knob :smug:

P.S....who brings a bass to a Stanley Clarke gig?! That's just asking for it. (Guess he wanted it autographed).
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    They played everything off the Rite of Strings cd, I think they only made one cd, and this was concidered a "Reunion".

It was acoustic.

OMG, Al DiMeola Fooled us all!!! toward the end he Brought up Return to Forever, Callem them "RTF" and Everyone went nuts, then He said. "And I always hear... What ever happend to RTF?" then after the applause he was like "Ok, Now I guess we would like to play one of Stanleys Songs, A song written some time ago.. So here's School Days"

we were all like Ya--.... what? School Days??? SWEET!