Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I saw Rush last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by camoe, Aug 25, 2002.

1. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Saw Rush in Denver at Fiddlers Green and man did they put on a show. 3 hours of rockin and I have to say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I even went to the show without tickets and was able to get seats right next to the sound board. Weather couldn't have been better, the crowd was into it. A memerable night for all. Geddy's tone was great (better in the second half) and he played his vintage jazz almost the whole time. A couple of songs, he was playing what looked to be a newer modern jazz bass. Anyone know what kind of compression unit he's using on this tour? Any other Coloradoans see the show?

Peace and man I am fricken beat after last night

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, this tour has been a good one, great to seem them back and in such great shape. i can't wait for atlanta (show #3 on this tour for me :D)

3. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I saw Rush two weeks ago...First Rock concert ever!...They were awsome, and Geddy...Well he was out of this world!

4. AAAAAAARGH!!!
    I wanna see Rush live, damn it!

Someone please tell me they haven't come through LA yet...

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    they are coming to Mexico and i will miss it :(

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why?

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i spent my savings on a music school...

Im going to attend a 2 days a week (2 hour lesson per day) for six months with 3 really cool bass teachers...

:)

i had to choose between both... I hope I can see rush live in some not so distant future in USA or CANADA.

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Saturday, Sept 28 at Verizon Ampitheater

Sept 23 at Staples

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Due to financial difficulties, I was unable to see them when they came through Dallas. I am hoping that the rumours of an extended run of indoor venues later in the year is true. I would rather see them indoors anyway.

10. Embellisher, same reason I couldn't go, but to be fair, there's no decent indoor places around. I can't stand the sound at Reunion, AAC, or most definitely, Texas Stadium. Maybe they'd do Bronco Bowl, but I doubt it.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Too small, although the acoustics there are very good.

12. Sweet...where'd you get that info? I'm going to have to pass that on to my brother & some other people I've met here so far. :D

13. Hey Camoe,
    I saw them last night at fiddler's green as well. I was section 204 row P.
    First time I've been that close and also the first time it hasn't rained at a Rush concert here!
    Here is his equipment straight outta the program:
    Avalon U5 tube direct box, Sansamp RBI, Palmer PDI-05 speaker simulator, Trace Elliot Quatra-VR power amps,
    Three Maytag coin-op dryers.:D

My bet would be that the Palmer unit provides the most compression, either that or the dryers.

~Ad

14. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Glad to see someone else locally got to see it. I was in 102 row PP, best seats I've ever had at the Green. Yeah...your'e probably right, had to be the dryers..:D

Peace

15. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    AcusticBass and I were wondering what the dryers were for...we kind of thought it odd...but cool...can someone explain that one to me?

16. It's a joke, superfreak - I saw them for the first time last month. Been listening to them for almost 28 years and this was the first time I got to see them live :)

Remember before the show started all the gear was covered with those black satin covers?

Then the road crew came out and uncovered the stuff. Alex had the Hughes and Kettner stack with six 4x12 cabs, Neil had enough kit to stock a music store and Geddy had the three miked Maytags. It looked like Geddy had some pretty serious speakerage on the stage until they pulled the covers off ;)

17. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    oh...oops my bad...guess thats what happens to blondes....(cricket sounds):D

18. It was either going to be the dryers or a few amps not in use. Geddy has been going more and more direct until he has finally decided not to use amps at all.
    They are just there to fill up the stage and present a subtle joke. They are filled with Rush t-shirts that are eventually thrown out to the crowd at the end of the show. Ged used to use Trace Elliot Amps but still went direct for most of his sound. He had a refridgerator alongside two trace stacks last tour.
    ~Ad

19. My turn comes on 9/27 here in PHX. 4th row.
    The last time I saw Rush?
    2/14/83, Long Beach, CA. 6th row, and I have killer 35mm photos to proove it! I went out and bought my 1st bass the very next day, so we're comin' up on my 20th anniversary as a bassist. Funny how things come full circle.
    At a rehearsal 2 weeks ago my lead guitarrist was on the phone upon arrival. He put it up to my ear, and I was able to catch a bit of their Philly show courtesy of a relative with a mobile phone. Sounded marvy, so I'm looking forward to this.

Just a passing mention: my band's current Rush covers include "Tom Sawyer," "In The End," and "Working Man," though we have also dabbled with "Digital Man," which a past band of mine has done as well. Since I am not the principal lead vocalist, I do enjoy the Rush covers, as I get to do the full Geddy trip (vox, keys, etc). I am also grateful from a gear-hauling standpoint that we don't do the Rush covers all that frequently; only for those 4 sets/night gigs do they come out.