Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I saw RUSH live! I can rest in peace now!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by andruca, Sep 17, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Last sunday I've been at RUSH's show at the Manchester Evening News Arena. I'm 30 and I've been a RUSH fan since 15, but living in Argentina I was never able to watch them live. Now I live in Spain so the trip was shorter and it was well worth it. The show was loud and brought me to tears. They're amazing. Neil doesn't stop during the whole show. He's not human!!! He's an alien machine!!! And Alex is so funny to see and hear!!!

I love this band. And despite some of my favourite tunes' lack (Stick it out, Analog kid, Cold fire, Virtuality, Peaceable kingdom, -more based on old stuff and absolutely nothing from Presto, which surprised me-) I enjoyed this show like none in my whole life.

Geddy Lee (one of my main influences) is a HUGE BASSIST AND SINGER. He's in great shape despite his fifty-somethings. His voice didn't miss a single note. His playing is absolutely hardcore and his live bass sound is like picking your favourite Geddy studio sound and hearing it during more than 3 hours. I definitely couldn't get enough of Geddy!!!

ANDRUCA

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Very cool. I'll see them someday. This past summer my (very close, AND they know I'm a bassist) Aunt and Uncle said "Hey, we got tickets to go see Rush, you gotta come with us!!" I said "hey you don't have to tell me twice" then they said "Well hurry up and get your ticket before they sell out" :meh: :mad: :scowl:

3. Charred

Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    ;) My first concert at age 16 was RUSH 2112 tour in Allentown Pa.
    I have been an inveterate bass player ever since. The tone of his old Rick was unlike anything I had heard prior. Only Squire's Ric sound inspired me as much. I bet MANY of us here became bass-players at Geddy's inspiration. Rush taught me not only about bass lines in themselves... but equally as important, the possibilties of COMPLEMENTING the drum work(and vice versa).

4. I saw em in Montreal on the 21st - great show! Everything was perfect about that show, except I wish we had floor seats!

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I saw them in West Palm in 2002 i think, amazing.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats, I'm glad you finally got to see Rush live. They do put on a great show. The last time I saw them live was in '82 on the 'Signals' Tour. I also saw them on the 'A Farewell to Kings', 'Hemispheres' (my favorite Rush concert and album), and on the 'Moving Pictures' tours. Everytime I saw them, they were great. :cool:

One of my favorite local drummers saw them in two different cities on their last tour. He said at both shows Rush played flawlessly and had tons of energy. He also raved about Geddy's live tone. I regret not going :crying: .

Congrats again, Art

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002

I know what you feel. I`m 30 too and been listening to Rush since I was 15, and never had the chance to see them live.
    I hope to see them sometime, it`s something I`ve been waiting for a long long time. I hope they come back to South America someday.

Estuve leyendo tu pagina, muy buena. Saludos desde Buenos Aires.

8. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I'll be travelling to Stockholm to see Rush live for the very first time this wednesday. Oh joy...

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    So... how was it???

ANDRUCA

10. I saw them about 10 years ago at the Arco Arena in Sacramento. What a great evening! While I was stilll playing, it Really inspired me to pick it up and play again...

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The visual aspects of the show were perfect from the video sequences to lights, lasers and pyrotechnics. Great playing, although Geddy missed a lick in YYZ ;). Neil was awesome of course.

Geddy used 3 different basses, of which the black one sounded best. Once he had to change bass in the middle of the tune (because of transmitter problems?) and I didn't even notice it!

Audio quality was a bit disappointing. Of course the Globen is a lousy place for a concert but still. Most of the time Geddy's bass was almost inaudible. The PA was so loud, it was almost impossible to be there without earplugs. I survived for the whole 3.5 hours. Damned tinnitus!

Set list had something for everyone, I personally enjoyd the 80's material most. Mystic rhythms, subdivisions, red sector a... If they only played some good tunes instead of all the covers.

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I was surprised that they didn't play anything from Presto, and only played Resist from Test for Echo (and it was an unplugged version) and only Animate from Counterparts (my favourite modern Rush record). The thing with the covers for us non-americans is that some of them are not that well known to us (I remember myself only yelling and dancing at "The seeker", for example). These were the only aspects I didn't like of the show. The Manchester Evening News Arena sounds amazing (I had the tech "island" right in ront of me). I absolutely loved this long potpourri they made at the begining, playing one song from each studio record up to PW's Spirit of the radio, where Geddy began singing. Geddys bass in particular was just like in studio records: clear, agressive and earth-shaking and his playing was absolutely flawless. Also his singing was perfect, with absolutely clear higher and also lower notes. I read he doesn't make three shows in a row. They play two days and stop for one (for Geddy's voice to have a break). I was at a "second day" show and his voice was like ready for another three hours at the end of the show, not a single sign of fatigue. Geddy's the hell of a professional in every aspect. AMAZING!!!!

ANDRUCA

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Geeze, I wanna see Rush so badly. I have for years, thanks to my dad getting me into them. Aye, perhaps I will, I hope so!

Ray