1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

I saw Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BonesawMcgraw13, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. It was honestly pretty disappointing. The first 20 minutes of the set consisted of just a DJ playing a bunch of old school hip hop everything from Sugarhill Gang to DMX. I feel like I waited forever for the show to actually start.

When it finally did Slick Rick came out and did a few of his most popular songs but the sound was so bad you could hardly tell what he was playing. I was with people that didn't even realize he had done children's story when it was like the second song he did. That's how bad the sound was. After about 20 minutes of that Doug E Fresh came out. I don't think he played anything that was even his other than when he and Rick did La di da di. Other than that Doug E Fresh literally just had his dj play a bunch of old funk tracks and early 80's hip hop stuff and kept asking the crowd "ya'll remember this? Yea This that old school!" This went on for about a half hour before it ended the same way the first 20 minutes went.

I went because these guys are a big part of hip hop history and thought it would be cool to check out but like I said it was really disappointing. I mean, I get that hip hop started from block parties and MC's talking and rapping over well known dance tunes but I feel like if you're as well known as these guys that isn't how your show should go. I don't know as much Doug E Fresh but I know Rick has a bunch of albums so I can't believe he only did about 20 minutes of real material of his own. I don't think Doug E Fresh did anything of his own other than beatboxing for la di da di.

I try to catch as many old musicians that are still alive and kicking just so I can witness some history and most of them won't be around much longer. Even though most of these guys aren't in their prime and I never got to see them that seeing as I'm only 29, a lot of them still put on a great show. I've seen Robert Plant a few times, David Byrne, P Funk with George Clinton (who knows how much longer that guy will live), Roger Waters, Dwight Yoakam (probably the best of all the groups a bit before my time), the beach boys, the Misfits, and a bunch of others including other hip hop from their era. This has to have been the worst of all of them.

Anyway, I just wanted to share because it was kind of a bummer. Maybe it would have been different when they were in their prime but a lot of other artists not quite in their prime anymore have still put on amazing shows.

2. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    BonesawMcgraw13 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. "I want to stab you in your one good eye" hah hilarious. It wasn't quite as bad that but definitely still a disappointment.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    disappointed by a hip hop performance? who ain't? if there's no band involved i wouldn't bother. it's really hard for me not to hate.

5. I'll agree that Hip hop without a band can be boring. A lot of them do play with a band though and it's usually pretty great. I've seen hip hop shows with no band as well that were awesome though, Run the Jewels for example. To be honest I didn't have high hopes for the show anyway just because it's not like Slick Rick is actually still relevant. It was still disappointing though.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021