1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I saw someone using a head And a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashermatt, Mar 27, 2006.

1. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    At least i'm pretty sure, the bassist last night looked like he was either playing a svt2 or 4 pro, and it looks like he had another preamp in his rack case. i could be mistaken and it could have been some sort of effects, but it looked like a preamp... if it was a preamp, do people ever use 2 preamps, (one from the actual preamp and the other going into the the head?) sorry if that sounds confusing, it just kinda suprised me

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    could be for two different sounds. Otherwise, I've seen people use head to power their cab, and then use a preamp to send a signal to the PA.

3. Maybe he was using the output of the seperate preamp into the poweramp input of his head.

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've seen people use heads to power a separate preamp instead of selling their head and buying a poweramp to replace it.

Maybe he was just trying it out?

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've seen people bypass a head's internal preamp because they liked the sound of another one better, or were not quite ready because of attachment or finances to dump the head and get a good power amp.

6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    This is a good question.

For about the last 5 years, I have been using "leveling " preamps in front of anything for every instrument I own except the Alembic Series I. By this I mean specifically the ART Mic Pres or Tube Channels, because they are what I can afford. There are higher end studio pres for the same purpose, but they get pricey. I've even done this in front of an Alembic F1X in a rack system with superior results.

The reason for this is that almost all amps are designed with hugely more input headroom than most bass guitars deliver. It is difficult to get everything out of the pre-amp stage in the amp if you are not loading it up. The use of a mic pre in front of everything let's you use a 12AX7 to fatten the sound, and then adjust the level for the input stage on the main preamp.

I know this flies in the face of what most folks are doing, but you ought to try it someday. The little ART pres can be had for about 50$, and you'll just be stunned by the improvement in tone and output. This is particularly true for passive basses, but also for the Bartolini kind of preamps. The Alembic Series electronics have such a high output that you don't need anything else. That is partly why they have such a toneful reputation. However, using a mic pre is a great equalizer - for 50 bucks you can get the same level of gain out of a passive J that you get from the Alembic.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've also had good results with the art tube mp. Used into a head, and used as a DI/line to tape, preamp.

8. I use an Ampeg SVT-PRO into a Carvin B1500 head. The B1500 is a fine head, but I'm looking for a little more fuzz right now. In the future, I may go back to just the B1500.

9. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I know a guy that has a SVP in front of his Mesa 400+ (might be in an effects loop?). He's going for a clean vs. driven tone kinda thing (but mostly he's got mudd sound a and mudd sound b going on).