I saw the Tony Levin Band last night!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Monkey, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Great show! I saw him at a small theatre in Cincinnati. He played a lot of songs from his last CD, Pieces of the Sun, along with a Genesis tune, a couple of Peter Gabriel tunes, some Crimson. He also did great versions of Peter Gunn and Black Dog. He also expressed frustration that he wasn't a poet or lyricist, so that he could express his feelings about what was going on, and then the band went into a version of "Give Peace a Chance."

He played a 5-string Stingray fretted with Funk Fingers, a fretless Stingray 5, a Stick, an NS electric cello and an NS electric upright. He is such a nice, down-to-earth guy, and he joked around and was very relaxed. He came out after the show and signed CDs.

One funny thing: The singer/guitarist in the warm-up band told the crowd that the bassist had been sweating for about a week! Warming up for Tony Levin has got to be a lot of pressure.:eek:
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

What was the band format? You mentioned guitarist....what else?
  3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Jerry Marotta played drums (he also sang, played some acoustic guitar with Funk Fingers, and played alto sax!), Larry Fast on keys, and Jesse Gress on guitar. Marotta and Fast played on the early Peter Gabriel solo albums, and I saw them with Peter in 1982.

Marotta doesn't play a lot of cymbals, and uses the floor toms a lot, so the music sounds very tribal. Gress is a hot Strat player with good stage presence. I love Larry Fast on the keys; he is very textural, like he is painting pictures with sound.

It was so cool to see a bassist-led band. Tony was a strong presence both musically and visually, but did not dominate the proceedings at all. He grooved mightily while giving the other guys lots of room to shine.
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    He'll be in town here sunday night. I have to admit i've only heard/seen him w/ Gov't Mule in Rising Low. Don't have any of his solo stuff or w/ Gabriel-I do enjoy "fusion" or instrumental improvisational music.

-question is--is this a must see show or mostly appreciated only by someone familiar with Tony's recordings?
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I think one of Peter Gabreil's concerts is going to be next months Direct TV ch103 freebee's. (satellite tv)
  6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Watspan, I can't tell you if it is a must see for you. I wasn't familiar with some of what he played,and there was a lot of improvisation, so I wouldn't say it was for fans only. He really is a bass icon, and I could hear him so much better than in an big hall with Peter Gabriel.

He is really fun to watch and listen to. He uses a bunch of bass instruments, which is cool. His music is a meld of fusion, world, and prog rock, and he is just a really cool guy. A great role model for young bassists everywhere! :)
  7. what crimson songs did he do?
  8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    "Elephant Talk" is the only one I specifically remember. He did a couple more, but I can't remember the titles. I've never been good with song titles....

The guitarist in the warm-up band threw in an angular, repeating Crimson lick, and Tony commented on it when he came out.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I saw the Columbus show last night, simply amazing. I encourage ANY bassist to catch this show if it comes to your town.
  10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Check out www.bassworld.co.uk for an interview with tony. Im a moderator over there y'know. Pop over! It would be great to see you!
  11. Im jealous monkey!

Is Jerry Marotta the drummer who played on the first Cimson album? What you described sounds very much like the early Crimson drumming style, with not many cymbals.:confused: