1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I saw Tony Franklin last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoeGibb, Aug 26, 2012.

1. JoeGibb

JoeGibb

May 26, 2011
    So I went to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert last night with my dad, kind of a bonding thing. Kenny Wayne Shepherd was opening for them. 98% of the music/bassists I listen to are in the Metal category, so I was blissfully unaware of who was in what band.

Anyway, Kenny Wayne comes out on stage with his band and introduces everybody, and BAM.....Tony Franklin.

I turn to my dad and say, "That's TONY FRANKLIN!"
    Blank stare.

I turn to the guy behind me.
    "That's Tony Franklin."
    Blank stare.

So I go back to wacthing the show. And he tore it up all through their set. Played his fretless, played a standard P/J, and even played with a pick.

Anyway, i guess thats about it. Just wanted to tout my fanboy experience from last night. It was the first time I've seen a 'renowned' bassist. I'm hesitant to use that word, but you guys know what I mean.:D

2. That's an awesome surprise man! I love watching solid bassists like him in action

3. richardkimball

richardkimball

May 19, 2013
    shawnee,ok
    I was a Kenny Wayne Shepherd fan for a couple of years before Tony joined the fun. I saw him in Tulsa in Nov 2011. Honestly, I had not heard of him, but he really brought the band to a new level live, not just with his skills, but he actually looks like he is having a good time, not just standing there collecting a check. He's part of the reason for my interest in playing bass as well as guitar.

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    All I knew about Tony Franklin was that he was in The Firm with Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page. But he popped up in a Bass Player interview a couple months ago. I guess he's still going strong.

BTW, I loved his bass playing in The Firm. "Radioactive" kills.

5. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    NICE!

Tony is a great player, never seen him live, but records speak up good enough about him :D

6. Blue Murder!

J!