Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I say no to restricting OT to Suppoters.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Trevorus, Jan 7, 2005.


  1. Trevorus

    Trevorus

    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I read this in the thread about the classifieds being restricted in some way, and I am not a fan of this idea. Isn't that what the Lobby is for? Discuss...
     
  2. I agree, but I would like more formal information from people that want to sell something. I vote for a mandatory form that must be filled out. There has to be some way to verify the information to make transactions almost foolproof. That is really my only worry with non-supporters in the classifieds.
     
  3. Trevorus

    Trevorus

    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I hear ya there.

    I am really talking about those that want just supporters in Off Topic. We have the lobby for that, AFAIK.
     
  4. Guess I am in the wrong post then. I really do not think $20.00 or so is too bad for the insight you get on this forum. But I am 30 years old and have a job. Many of the young guys don't I guess.
     
  5. Toasted

    Toasted

    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Agreed - and what would Ot be if we didnt have a NuUBaSSiST666 to laugh at every now and again :smug:
     
  6. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OT could just disappear as far as I'm concerned...
     
  7. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Terrific Twister

    Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

    That would be your responsibility using PM, e-mail or even a phone call. If TB starts requiring profiles be filled out, and buyers come to rely on the info in a profile, it just increases Paul liability and involvement in the deal.

    User: Hey Paul, this guy said he is 29, and lives in Seattle. He just ripped me off, he doesn't even live in the USA. Why did you guys let him have a fake profile on TB?

    TB makes it clear that the deal is between the buyer and seller, no involvement from TB. You need to foolproof it on your own.

    -Mike
     
  8. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    awwwwwwwwwww hev, so 99% of it is junk, the other 1% is either some really touching or helpful stuff, or just plain funny as heck.

    i think the tb classifieds are cool the way they are, caveat emptor and all. plus the feedback forum is a wonderful thing. I've done about 10 transactions and always been happy. Much nicer than something like bassgear because you can pm or email the buyer or seller, and even look at their posting history to get a feel for them.

    i made the mistake of chiding adult members with good finances for not coughing up the 20 bucks in a good natured way and almost got me darned fool head cut off. While i understand that the person selling is getting a "free" classified ad and some think that they should pay for a supporting membership, i agree with the comment made earlier that a lot of sellers are kids. go easy on em.