Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I scored my Ampeg Portabass PB-210H today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I picked it up at GC for $268. I got it home, played it for a little while, and am very happy. It's very loud, and full. It has as least as much bottom end as my GK210, plus added midrange. I think it has a lot to do with the lighter cone material of the neo speakers. I decided I would do what I couldn't find when I was looking for info on this cab. No one seems to have any real personal experience with this cab. I just got it, so give me some time to mess around with it in a gig or two, but I see no problems with the cab replacing the GK combo whenever I don't feel like carrying around a 85 lb combo.
    The cab is sealed, and both 10s are in a common single chamber. Efficeincy is only rated at 93 Db, but it get's loud quickly with the GK. SInce it is 4 ohm, I don't really change the woofer volume of the GK since it is producing more power than at 8 ohms. I will never touch the volume capability of this amp.

There is a devider in there, but since there are holes in the divider, it will equalize the air pressure and act like one big chamber. Anyhow, Now I have a 32 lb cab in one hand, a 30 lb SKB roto-x rack with the GK1001RB and surge strip in the other, and the Spector bass in a gig bag on my back. I am a happy guy...

So the cab really weighs 33.5 lbs (verified by two scales), and 35.5 lbs with the detachable pull dolly on it. The handle extends long enough to be very comfortable to use it you want to. It's a little flimsy feeling, but it doesn't need to be heavy duty. It is more than enough to support the weight of this cab if you decide to use it.

The carpet is tough, and the grill is a painted piece of perferated sheet metal that bends around the curve of the cab. When I took it off, it was actually under pressure, and popped back into a flat piece of sheet metal when I took it off.

The wood is 6 ply poplar plywood. The grain was much different than plywoods I have seen before. It is supposed to be light.

The terminal cup is very high quality. It has 2 speakon, and two 1/4" speaker inputs. There is also a very high quality attenuator knob for the tweeter. It has an infinate number of positions instead of just low, medium, and full tweeter output, which is great. I haven't done much with this yet.

I took the speaker out. The frame is a thin stamped metal frame, much thinner than I would have expected. The magnet is also very small. The woofer surround is actually a two-rib foam surround. I don't think many bass cabs use foam surrounds. Most of them are paper accordian. The whole speaker ways 3.5 lbs! I couldn't believe it. It is a pretty wimpy speaker, but the output is awesome. Very suprising.

Well, that's the construction of it. I will gig with it and let you know more when I find it.

Thanks,
    Wes

2. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Thanks for the nice thorough review. Hope you like it! :)

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It will get more detailed once I play it for a little bit longer.

2 more pictures

5. I have a friend who is using the PB2x12 and loves it. He's had all kinds of amps over the years. He loves the weight, size and volume. He uses an Ampeg PB250 amp with it.

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    If I had to pay $500+ for either cab, I would have chosen the 212, just because I wouldnt want to wonder if the extra bottom was needed. When I listen to them a month ago, I liked the 212 version for it's extended bottom end. The 2x10 seemed to be voiced better in the mids though. In my home, the 210 has excellent bass extension though. I will let you know in a bigger space.
    Since I got the 2x10 for around 50% of regular prices, I won't complain. It's 6 lbs lighter than the 212, and handles the Drop D just fine, which is all I need. I will crank it down to low B to see how it does. It is a sealed enclosure, so the cones should stay controlled pretty far down.
    Wes

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice score! I really like the Ampeg cabs. They are much more hi-fi and "tight" sounding then Ampegs other cabinets. Not too mention light weight! I used to have a PB110, and I regret selling it(although it was too small for anything but practice). I am going to have to check out the 2x10" again.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    They were selling a single 10 cab as well for $99, but I didn't have a use for it.

9. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The neodymium in the speakers refers to the magnet, not the cone material. The magnet is small because it is made of neodymium. It has the same "pull" as a traditional large and heavy magnet.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Nice! I got me a PB 1x12 to go with my Clarus head... now, I have a really, really small rig!

Add me to the list of people who didn't like the 1x10 - it was punchy but had hardly any low end, especially compared to the 1x12.

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    These "Neo speakers" have a much lighter paper cone material that the GK speakers do, and because of it, might be more inherent to produce midrange frequencies better. Everything is thinner/lighter on this speakers. The stamped steel frames are even made of thinner sheetmetal than most subwoofers. Sorry for the confusing sentence in my first post.

If I could have found a 1x12 anytime in the past 2 months, I would have purchased one. I really liked the 2x12, but it was expensive, and 4 ohms. I figured I could get a single 4 ohm 12 now, and add an additional 12, wire it in serial for an 8 ohm load, and have more portability. It seemed that at that price, I could also get a handful of really nice cabs that were very portable, so it was a hard decision. Finding the 2x10 this cheap helped my decision since it was less than just about any of my other options. That second 10 makes a huge difference. The single 10 doesn't handle much power at all. It sounds pretty good and all, but is limited. Somehow the second 10 ads everything I needed. Of course, I also have never tried the single 10 with a good, strong amp. That probably would have made a difference.
    Wes