Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i screwed up my bass!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_player_cd, Apr 19, 2002.

1. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    I was trying to tune out the buzz on the fret board by turning the truss rod left and it made the buzz worse. And now when I plug it in the amp it has a buzz come through the amp, not the fret buzz, but a different buzz that was never there before. I tryed messing around and turning the rod the other way until it sounded right but it never got rid of the buzz. can someone not stupid like me tell me how to fix it? thanks again

2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    might be possible the strings might be hitting pickups? you could try raising the bridge saddles to rid fret buzz? good-luck...

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    sometimes if the strings are too close to the pick ups you get a pretty bad buzz. take 50 bucks and have a pro set it up right for ya. maybe ask if you can watch so you never have to spend it again.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This is GREAT advise!!!! You might of tightened the truss rod too much causing a back bow. Alot of us can assume what might be wrong so StingRayGuy has the best advise!!!!!

P.S. this belongs in the "SetUp" forum.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh, did you WAIT a couple hours after you turned it each time to setup and turn again?

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This'll get more of a response in the Setup forum.

Moved.

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Weird sound through the amp? Check your earth in the amp or in your entire house for that matter. It happened to me, and we had to do somethiung to the entire house so that it wouldnt happen again. That, or your amp could be interfering with a radio if you have one near by.

8. exactly what kind of buzz are we talking about ?

Does the humming stop when you :

- touch the strings ?
    - move around with your jack-plug at the bass a bit ?
    - move around with your jack-plug at the amp a bit ?
    - turn the knobs on your bass ?
    - turn the knobs on your amp ?
    - " knock " on the back of your bass ?
    - shake your bass ?
    - shake your amp ?
    - knock on your neck ? ( all over )
    - pull the strings down at the tuning head ?
    - turn the knobs on your bass ?

if not : go to luthier to get it fixed.. :)

9. bass_player_cd

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    It stops when I touch the strings. I think its too close to the pickups cause I raised and lowered them and it didnt get that buzz when I raised em. But still, it never did that before. What did I do to make them like that? It had to have been with the truss rod.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you don't say anything about what type of bass we are talking about here - fill in your profile!!

Most basses with passive single coil pickups - like Fender Jazz will get some hum through the amp, in certain situations - so if you are near a fluorescent light tube, light with a dimmer switch, TV or computer screen etc.

It may be that you are just playing near one of these sources for the first time and it has nothing to do with the truss rod!

So with Fender J types - it is just a feature - something you have to put up with if you want that sound! ;)

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It's almost certain that if the hum goes away when you touch the strings that the bridge is not grounded.

Temporarily ground the bridge with a jumper wire. If you don't have a jumper wire, use a spare string or a straightened out metal clothes hanger.

Just touch one end of the jumper to the bridge or the strings and the other end to the nut that holds the input jack on the bass. If the hum goes away, remove the bridge and check that the ground wire is contacting the bridge. Also, locate the wire that grounds the bridge inside the control cavity. The ground wire is the one that disappears into a hole in the control cavity. Look for the wire to be loose or have a bad solder joint.

It is extremely unlikely that the truss rod adjustment caused the problem that you describe.

A cheap battery powered test light ( less than $5.00) is a good tool for checking the various ground points in your instrument.

Just connect the alligator clip to the common ground (usually the shell of the volume pot) and touch the probe tip to the bridge, the strings and the jack nut

The light on the probe will come on if you have a good ground.

Pkr2

12. bass_player_cd

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    well first of all bruce!!!! I'm in the same place with the same stuff and it still buzzes.I'm not going to try and look for the ground wire, I'll end up screwing it up more. I'll just go have it fixed. but thanks for your help.

PS: and sorry for being so freakin stupid bruce!!!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No need to apologise - just fill in your profile, it's very easy and will help people to help you in future - so we still don't know what bass you are talking about, which could have a big impact on what advice is given to deal with your problem!

14. bass_player_cd

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    Yeah I know bruce, I was just givin you shi*. I'll fill it in right this second.