I See the Light: Lightweight Basses Rule!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    At church today, I started out on my SR5 HH and them decided to change because I felt it wasn't cutting through on a slap line. I went to my USA Millennium, and it was night and day! My Millennium sounded great, but more importantly, my Millennium is so, so much lighter! I never gave much credence to folks talking about heavey basses since I am so big, and I'm pretty strong, however, my shoulder felt so much better when I put on my Millennium. My Stingray is around 12 lbs. and my Millennium is around 8.5-9lbs.

BTW, I' not saying my SR5 HH couldn't cut through. I know tweaking the eq would have done wonders. I felt that my Millennium mught have just had a bit more basic presence, at least for some songs. I have always liked Peavey Millenniums, but they are approaching holy grail status with me the more I play them.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You play slap at church???

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ever heard of urban gospel? Lot's of slap and funky stuff in that style.

4. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I love urban preachers. Specially when the Spirit starts moving, and they really get down. My favorite is Herman Murray, here in Dallas.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ah yes. Sorry, I'm so used to my white bread roman catholic ensemble. We played very straight forward and boring, so we wouldn't offend the stuck up parishioners.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nothing to be sorry about. We are all here to learn.:cool:

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    lmao :D

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, I used to think heavy felt solid. Even acoustically, heavier is usually louder but now owning a few lighter basses as well, it's like night and day. I don't know how anyone who gigs regularily could play a 12lbs+ bass. It must be murder on the shoulder.

9. I have slapped in a Catholic setting, granted it was a teen mass and the music was more modern but i did it.:cool:

10. pffffffffft I've slapped through the entirety of the Messiah.

edit: ON UPRIGHT :bassist:

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hell, I slapped the preacher!

:bag:

12. Hallelujah!

13. <y church doesnt even have a bassist, come live with me and i might go to church more often!

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I still generally feel that heavier basses tend to produce heavier notes. . . that said, my 535 at church today sounded really deep. Amazing.......... oh, and I smacked it around something fierce too. :D

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I admit that heavy ash body of my SR5 HH does get a tone that my Millennium cannot, especially in terms of brightness. Still, the Millennium sounds pretty doggone good too!:bassist: :D

16. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I can't know my swamp ash Cirrus, slaps like you wouldn't believe and has incredible presence. It is also very light. I can't knock your SR in any way (I love that SR sound) but in my world light basses rule :D

17. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Light is good. You may think a heavier bass gets heavier tones, but you know, you only get one spine in this life. My J-bass is light, comfortable, and with the Antiquity II pups I get all the "heavy" I need.

PS: You want to hear some rockin' church music, you got to check out the House of God in Nashville.

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    :D That's the quote of the day. . . I must admit, it's a beautiful thing playing the MTD for a service (from my shoulder/back's perspective). I've owned some other basses in the 12-13 lb range that sounded fantastic, but it definitely makes a big difference at the end of a 45 minute - an hour long set.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Light weight can be cool but only as long as it's giving me what I want sonically. I've only come across two or three brands that did.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know what you mean. KJung's Celinder is heavy, but that weight gives it a killer jazz sound! Even my own SR5 HH has a certain charm that makes me love it even if I am considering swapping it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 24, 2021