I seem to have injured myself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LoOtinant Dan, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Last night in the middle of a gig, I believe I sprained my wrist (right hand) actually playing during a song. It has been really hurting ever since and I have to play agian tonight. Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so, have any ideas onhow to cope or make better the situation?

:bassist: =:bawl: thanks
  2. yikes!
    that sucks... avoid playing until your gig... wrap that thing up in an ace bandage fairly tight, and put some ben-gay on that sucker.

good luck, brother!
  3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    you should see a doc, or an Occupational Therapyst to make sure you don't do it again! yikes, that would stink to have happen all the time!
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It would be unusual to sprain your wrist while playing but I suppose that anything is possible.If it's really sprained, I would take a serious look at my technique cause that just ain't normal.

It's more likely that you have developed a ganglion cyst (sp.?). Is the pain on top of the wrist joint but under the tenons that go across the joint? If so, it's probably a cyst.

5. spend the whole day warming up.

Try some of these exercises:
    - bending your fingers back, GENTLY, and not so far that they crack !
    - Make a fist, then release into a web shape, do this slowly.
    - turn wrist in circles.

If any of these hurt, stop. Rest, and then start over.

Do a search ion the Technique forum and make sure you're not doing anything you shouldn't be.. :)

6. Yeah, I agree that it is strange, but it was a sudden sort of sharp pain. I've been a bassist for 14 years and my technique isn't unordinary. The pain is within my entire wrist. I manned it out during my gig last night despite the pain. The top of my wrist seems to be develpoing what appears to be a small lump of what could be fluid. I guess I will go to the Doc tomorrow. Good thing I don't play agian for another two weeks. Thanks for everyones helpfull input and consideration. :)
  7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Yep, you have developed a ganglion cyst. Thats the exact symptoms. I've had one for some time. It goes away for a while but after playing a lot it starts acting up again.

Try soaking your wrist in cold water. That helps mine.

Believe it or not, one of the most common ways to treat one is to take a heavy phone book and slam your wrist with it. That is supposed to burst the cyst. No, I ain't about to try it but it's supposed to work.

Maybe Dr. Mike will read this and give you some advice.

Good luck and let us know what your doctor says.

Do a Google search using the keywords "ganglion cyst". You can get a lot of good info there.

8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Without eyeballing it, its a tough call to make. I doubt very much its a sprain and its awfully sudden onset for a ganglion, although its possible. I would lean more towards a tendonitis or even carpal tunnel. I would absolutely see a doc for it.

Keep us posted.