Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I seen the funk light!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jul 4, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    I still love metal more than anything but theres somthing about funk that makes it the best kinda music to play in your car to pick up chicks and stuff, its so sweet, now instead of being a heavy metal bassist im a funk metal bassist, i was wondering basswise what do i need for funk stuff, like whats a good funk bass, what are some good funk pedals, who are some funk bassists i should know, etc. etc. i know bootsy collins, flea thats about it, but whats everything i need to know if i wanna be a funk metal masta?? :bassist:

2. Wahs and Autowahs are nice, and a good passive Fender is still the king of funk basses. Basically you just have to listen to a lot of old funk and get into the mindset, it's much different from metal.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know, picking up chicks with "Mallcore" metal is pretty easy these days.

Back in the day, I was asking the same questions. But funk, more than anything requires listening. Listen to the greats, and try to understand/do what they do.

James Brown
    Parliament/Funkadellic
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Tower of Power
    The Meters
    Larry Graham and Bootsy's solo careers
    Marcus Miller
    Stevie Wonder

etc.

And if you want to hear one of the best funk metal acts/bassists: Check out The Infectious Grooves

4. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    just be sure not to sound exactly like flea, its a trap too many bassists fall into

5. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Also check out Maceo Parker and Lettuce. Personally I think you don't need effects it's all about how you lay down the pocket.

6. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1 DrewBud

Don't forget Louis Johnson (check out the song called Stomp as performed by the group called Brothers Johnson) - some classic slap AND funk groove solo parts throughout that song. Maybe songs like Car Wash by the group Rolls Royce. Rick James, etc. What I dig about funk is that much of it is not in the true "slap" vein. Rather, it is articulated fingerstyle control and a comprehensive grasp on the groove and the FEEL of the bass part. I'll take GROOVE and FEEL anytime over technique. Funk makes me happy. :D