Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I sent my Woody back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 22, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Last week I got an Allen Woody Epiphone. If you read my other post on the woody then you know of the agrivation I went thru. What finally made me return it was the three point gibson style bridge. For years I have always done most of my own set up work. I kept making adjustments to this bass for three days and could never get it to play right. The three point bridge sucks! Its a horrible design. I lowerd the action as low as possible and it was still to high.

So now I am sitting here crying because I sold my cheap-o MiM Jazz bass to help pay for a new bass and a new amp. The amp, an Ampeg B100R is cool and I am going to keep it. After returning the Woody, its case and a small Beringer practice amp I also bought I will have about $650 ish or a lil less to spend on another bass.

I should have just gone out and got a better fender instead of going thru all this :bawl:

Right now I plan on ordering a Deluxe P-Bass Special when all my returns get refunded.

Two things bother me tho.
    #1 None of my cheezy local stores carry the Deluxe P-Bass Special so I will have to shoot the dice and order one. If I'm lucky I will get a good one. The local guys only carry the MIM Jazz and P.

#2 The Warmoth site states that their necks will not fit on a precision special. This sucks as I was thinking some day I might want to upgrade the neck. I have always wanted an ebony fingerboard.

O well, I got at least a week to think it over till my cash arrives. Its to bad the bridge on the Woody sucked so bad. It had kick ass tone and the short scale was nice. Somebody mentioned getting a Badass 1 bridge but after doing some reading it would be more trouble than its worth. Since the bass is a short scale the peg holes would have to be filled and new holes drilled in the proper place. Thats waaay more than I care to have done.

Why did I sell my Jazz bass :scowl:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Better to send it back than convince yourself that its good to keep it.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

I agree w/ Figgy.

In addition, don't make the same mistake 2x. Do you like P basses? How do you know it's right for you? This isn't pocket change, make the trip/s to find your perfect "mate".

It sounds to me that you'd want a bass with many adjustable/setup features. That is a point you should keep in mind. If stores aren't accessible search TB! There are many threads about price point, tone, setup/action etc, quality, playabilty...... etc!!!!!!

Good luck!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to here of you difficulty with the Epiphone, I have the Jack Casady bass with the same bridge set up and it takes a whille to get used too. What was you overall impression of it's quality?. I too have the same Ampeg, arent they a great setup. Best of Luck in your bass Hunt. PS I have a Schecter Model T for sale if you are interested, check the for sale forum.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I gas'ed for a woody for 2 years, but i waited until the local store got one in, played it, made sure everything was to my satisfaction and then bought it. That said, I've bought 2 reverend rumblefishes used off ebay, and been fully satisfied each time--got lucky i guess.

I hope you don't have any returns trouble from gluing the posts down on your woody.

6. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I doubt they will notice the posts. It was a clean job.

As far as what bass I like, after I switched over to bass from guitar in 2000 I played a few different kinds and finally went with a Jazz bass. I love the Jazz bass neck but wanted to get a bit more beefy sound. The P bass special looks like it would fit the bill. The nice thing about a Fender is that there are so many companies that make upgrade parts for them. If there is some aspect of your Fender you dont like, ie. the bridge its easy to find a replacement.

Lol, al this talk about parts is making me think about just ordering all the parts I want from Warmouth and building my own P/J combo. Hmmm

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would never willing purchase or play a gibson bass, purely because of their track record with formerly excellent bass companies like tobias, steinberger and trace elliot.