1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I shake my bass and the trussrod rattles, is that bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, May 7, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmm. :meh:

Sorry if this has been done before, but I found nothing in a search. Anyways,

I recently took the strings off my bass, since one was broke and I thought I would be getting new ones soon, which fell through. Now that the strings are off, I find that when I shake my bass a little, I hear the trussrod rattling around! Nothing serious, I just jerk my bass back and forth in my hand. And then it sounds like something is rolling around in the neck. The sound is quiet, and it doesn't sound broken or anything, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hear anything at all. Is this normal? It's a G&L L-2000 Tribute, if that matters.

:help:

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Did you hear this when you had the strings on? If not, it may not be your truss rod, but a loose tuning peg.

If it turns out to be a broken truss rod, it is pretty serious and can end up with a warped neck. Get it checked by a pro repairman.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I don't think so, but maybe. I'll string it up tomorrow and find out then.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Theres nothing wrong. Without the tension of the strings, the truss rod is just loose, The rattle will go away when you restring it.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The truss rod may just be too loose. After you string it back up, if you still hear it, tighten the truss rod a little bit.

6. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    uh oh, I think you should it to me to have a look....i might have to keep it a while

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok. What's your address?