Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I should be practising..........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, May 13, 2003.

1. ...... for my lesson later today, but I'm here posting.

Why? I'm at college, with great facilities for me to practise, lots of rehersal rooms. But they are all full (it's drummers day today). And I can't practise in the canteen, or the library, because I'll feel like a fool (all the neds and general jerks hang about in those two places..... they = morons. :mad: )

But I do need to practise. There's a piece I need to play for assesment, that I can't play yet.

I've tried reading over it, imagining polaying it, how to finger it and and where to finger it.

But, as far as I can see, that's as much as I can do.

:(

Is there any way I can do more, with or without getting my bass out?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It depends... presuming you've previously practised it with your bass, what were the main problems you encountered? You might be able to mentally engage some of those.

On the other hand, you might be better off working on things like the rest of your college work so that when you do get a chance to sit down with a bass you don't have to worry about that.

Wulf

3. I'm guessing your home now? How did it go?

And hey, if the neds give you troubles... they won't after you smack upside with your wood.. :eek: :D

4. In the end, it didn't go too bad.... nothing like the horror I expected it to be. I played it pretty well..... at half the speed it should be.

And I know the bits I need to practise more now.

It's all good, really.

5. ...we all should be "practising" (Practicing);)

6. It's got an "s" in Britain.... :p

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    'S' for the verb, 'c' for the noun - yet another of those groovy variations. I suppose you could say that British English has more colour than other variants :p

Wulf

8. ah, no wories James!

i played Come On, Come Over for my bass assessment, I got a 2! Messed up the chorus and intro pretty bad... :)

9. That's cool, I'm getting to do Elvis Costello's Pump It Up for the "groove" (with a real live drummer!) part of my assesment. Which is nice.

:)

The bit I was panicing for was a Bach piece, that I'm doing with my teacher as the "ensemble" part of the assesment. My scales are pretty good, and my sight reading is passable (I need a bit of practise) so I'm not too worried.