I should be writing music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Anyone here have a rough time committing themselves to the song writing process. I have a complete digital studio right in front of me, an air conditioined peaceful place, guitars, basses, synthesizers all within arms reach, lots and lots of half written songs - and I'm sitting here reading and writing on Talkbass.
  2. Ive found that if you just play a bunch of notes from a scale, or kind of close to each other, one can make some cool stuff.
  3. My song writing isn't the best probably, but I write the song as I record. I'll have a riff or two in my head, then as I'm recording the song I screw around til I find something that I like. The 2 sites in my signature have my songs on them. Just listen to some different music than you usually do, and maybe you'll get some inspiration.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I, too, have a digital studio on a separate computer. I found I was spending lots of time on talkbass while the music computer just stared at me.

So I moved my Talkbass computer to another room :D
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yep, same with me, my four track gets used now only for learning songs off tapes (I use the pitch adjust and the auto-loop features that regular tape decks lack) and that's it. The synth I'll sequence sometimes to practice playing over chord changes. The drum machine does metronome duty.

Why? Because I decided I really don't have any ideas for songs!!! When I was four-tracking frequently a few years ago, it was always with a collaborator. When I stopped working with him, I stopped trying to write songs.

So go find someone to work with!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The same thing happened to me, I used to write songs with a female singer and we were quite prolific - I have never been able to write lyrics though! So I would be writing and recording music that I thought she would like and which she could fit lyrics to. But when she moved to Wales I just stopped. So maybe the answer is to get a collaborator in. Quite often the best songwriting is by partnerships and maybe this is because you keep each other going, whereas it's easier to hit a block on your own.