1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Should Own A Dingwall

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I live 2 hours away from Saskatoon where Dingwall Basses are made. We don't have too many world renown builders of anything around here so I think it's pretty rad to be so close to such a highly regarded shop.

I should own one. You know, support local artisans, etc.

Problem is that I'm broke.

Isn't that a sad story?

2. As someone in China who owns a Dingwall, I agree, you should own a Dingwall. They are phenomenal instruments. Look for a used Combustion, save your pennies. It'll be worth your while.

3. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    YEs, why not enter the Dingwall world by getting a Combustion model - maybe even a used one.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Make sure you get one with a P pickup.;)

5. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Get a job in the factory...

6. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Love that video :bassist:

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    You should have one, get a job, make it a priority!
    Go to the factory & have one made.
    I live 40 miles from Chris Stambaugh, yup I have a Stambaugh.

8. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    My second dingwall arrives next month. And I've sold off almost every other bass in the house, excluding two.

I'd mow lawns and collect aluminum cans to own one if I had to.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Where are you Regina? There are other builders too, such as Fury who works closely with Dingwall, Fury is more famous for their guitars though... actually those are the only two I can think of beyond one man operations. I thought there was a drum company in Saskatchewan that Brad King endorsed too.

And no, buying a combustion is not really support local, I have yet to play a combustion since they are made in China not my hometown.

If you don't like it or feel your money is better spent elsewhere, why do you owe it local artisans? I prefer local too but it was not the biggest factor in my purchase, it did factor in though. When I bought my last 6ers it was between Carvin and Dingwall, I ended up with Carvin as my dollar went much further. When I told Sheldon what I paid for my bass he told me flat out, he cannot compete with that price point, Carvin works for cheap but they also CNC the **** out of everything. I imagine Sheldon is getting close to paying off his CNC at this point, but I know he just got one a few years ago.

Lastly, keep your eyes peeled at pawn shops and on Kijiji. There are great Dingwall deals here due to that, I have seen a couple sell for half price. Back before the internet ruined pawn shops I had a buddy who bought a Dingwall for $300. Obviously some booster took it and pawned it without knowing what he had and the shop owner just charged appropriate mark up.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Do a search on eBay for 'Dingwall'. A couple of good basses and a whole world of other things with that name. Yesterday there was a Combustion for not too much.