1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i should work on my social skills, eh?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Apr 21, 2005.

1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I've seen this approach cure introverts many times...

Get a job in a quiet pub/bar. One day a week will do.

I'm deadly serious.

The first day you'll be hellishly nervous, but you'll quickly get used to the very limited conversation you have to have with each customer. Soon you'll realise it's really easy and you were able to do it all along.

A pub is better than a shop as there is the opportunity to extend conversations with customers. Plus you soon realise that they say the same thing over and over again, so the conversations are easy (if a little dull).

2. Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm still pretty nervous about it all and I am no where near to the point where I'd like to be, but I think when it comes to becoming sociable, it's all about baby steps :)

3. that's true. I need to find out how to joke w/ out making fun of myself. My sense of humor always seems to weird people out.

I'm not at all suicidal, though.

4. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I have become rude lately..I go to walmart and someone is just standing there in the aisle...I tell there ass to move..I dont say pardon me or excuse me..I say "MOVE"

I went to a kids foot ball game..I was trying to walk up the bleachers and these ladies were standing there talking and blocking the way for everyone..I said "Move it, this isnt a walmart aisle"

My wife gets mad at me and tells me I am rude..and I tell her that I wouldnt be rude if people werent so damn stupid.

I guess after years of detours to get around people I have just got fed up and dont care anymore.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I often joke that I'll have high blood-pressure by the time I'm 30, because I get high-strung over the idiots on the road. I'm talking about the people who take forever to make a turn or drive 10/15 miles under the speed limit. Not to mention the others who do the opposite and tale-gate, drive like maniacs, etc. Seriously, some of them need to go take a few driving courses.

6. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    If it wasnt for my middle finger and horn I couldnt drive correctly :D

7. I didn't mean to imply that you were suicidal, just to point out that the suttle things you say can reflect on whats going on in your gutt.

I feel for you, I used to really stuggel with crippeling panic attacks, low self opinion (low S.O. rollins band :D ), and self loathing. Drugs (scrip)didn't work at all for me, just made me a zombie.

What did help was learning to take proper care and respect for myself. Diet and exercise are a must for me. Meditation and relaxation (self soothing techniques). A series of books by Bradshaw about family dynamics helped alot to understand how f---ed up my family was, and to get over it. I also had a good therapist for about a year and that helped alot.

This was long ago for me but I'm still carfull not to get down on myself even jokingly......its a long slippery slope back down to the bottem.

best of luck to you.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Perhaps its not introversion but just not being sure of what to say to anybody new? Alot of people have issues about meeting new people.
    I am in sales and many times I just want to "veg-out" and watch birds, or watch the day go by. The neccesity of cash is the reason I work with people. I don't think I put on an act, I just talk to people about the product, in a conversational way rather than "pitching" it. If they aren't interested, that's the way it is.

Many times friendship is simply chemistry, some people I know can talk to anybody. I cannot do that, I've tried "faking it" but I think it looks and feels obvious, so I just make friends and accquaintences as I make them. Don't feel you have to because other people seem to.