1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I signed my first autograph last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 3toes, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Granted it was for our drummer's little brother, but talk about putting a smile on my face :)

You know, first and foremost my main concern is to make sure that *I'M* happy with what I play. But man... this just reminded me of how awesome it is to know other people dig what you do as well.

I know it's a cliche line used by virtually ALL performers, but this really is the greatest job in the world.

2. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Very cool. I've yet to have it happen to me. When one of my bands did a CD, we would get asked to sign it, but I've never had someone just walk up and want my autograph. Happened to a few the front guys/gals I've played with and you could tell it made them walk about three feet off the ground. Here's hoping you have more of this in your musical future.

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Yeah. Apparently it happened a lot more later in the evening... I had to jet out a little early since I'm moving into a new place later this week. I hated that I couldn't stick around to schmooze but between the move and my regular 9-5 job, it's a little difficult.

Oh well, I guess they'll just have to come out to more shows to get the rest of the autographs ;)

4. First time I got asked for an autograph was when we were outside a bowling alley waiting to play. A bunch of kids asked us for our autographs. It was cool.

I also gave a kid an autograph for his sister's phone number. :D

5. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I sign autographs all the time, unfortunately they're on checks I write to pay bills........

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Yeah, I've been doing that a LOT lately :meh:

7. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think I've ever signed an autograph, but I do remember walking down the street, and this lady and her two daughters were walking towards me. When we crossed, she turned around and said, "You're Steven, aren't you? My daughters love your work!"

I'll never forget it.

8. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA

...ARE you steve?

9. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    That's what my mother calls me. I'm probably not the one you're thinking of, though.

10. bl2112

bl2112

Jul 11, 2008
    Orlando
    Thats cool. At this big Benefit show I signed a few for a couple of younger kids. The drummers dad was standing there and he was laughing because they asked me and I was like WHAT?!? But you have to play it cool. LOL

11. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I think signing autographs is funny when I think about it... can't imagine why anyone would really want my signature! I'm just a guy that plays bass. However, I have signed CDs, pant legs, t-shirts that people were wearing, sunglasses, etc. at Christian youth events. The teens seem to enjoy it so I am happy to give them a little something extra - it's nice to know doing something so simple can really be the icing on some people's cake!

12. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Haha yeah, I thought the same, but it definitely brought a smile to both mine and the kid's face :)