Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i slap like a vibrating monkey

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bob_The_Cow, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Bob_The_Cow

Bob_The_Cow

Jun 8, 2000
    hello everyone! i have a question about slapping. after i start doing it for a few notes all of the other strings start vibrating and making noises and i cant even hear what im trying to play. will it become better in time or am i doing something horribly wrong or is it something with my bass? any advice would be appreciated

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Moo--
    You probably just need to clean up your muting technique. I mute the strings lower(in pitch) than the one I'm playing with my plucking hand and I mute the strings higher(in pitch) than the one I'm playing with the fretting hand.

Chris A. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I have all my own teeth!"--Jenn Scott Poulin

3. Dingus_Mingus

Dingus_Mingus

Jul 18, 2000
    Slapping like a vibrating monkey sounds to me like a _good_ thing.

4. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Two days ago I saw Canned Heat in concert. In case you don't know about them, they played at Woodstock & originated "White Blues".

I watched real close and there wasn't a single slap by either bass player in the whole concert. There was a lot of good finger technique.

Slapping, for the most part, is like farting in public, it draws a lot of attention and usually stinks.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you slapped a vibrating monkey? as long as you don't spank it too. ouch.

6. nixrick

nixrick

Aug 12, 2000
    try practicing your slapping in reverse. Slap and pop muted or ghost notes and add real notes as you go along. remember to keep everything properly muted, and play in time to keep your skills up.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Nanook, that last sentence is great. Is that an old saying that you just made up?

8. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    Slapping is like a hammer, you can't use it to screw in a light bulb or cut a pizza but when a nail needs some driving...look out.

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Well said Scottzo!