I snapped my G string when I was taking it off...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heretic, Jul 22, 2005.

1. How's that for a thread title?

Anyways, I had a set of Fender 9050Ms on my BTB for about two weeks. I was detuning G so I could make some saddle adjustments and it just snapped! I don't really know what to make of it, 9050s are known to have very high tension and I could see it breaking if I tuned up, but what could cause it to snap while detuning?
  2. pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    Have you taken them on and off the bass? Or are they old? I used to reuse strings and have had that happen a few different times while detuning, not often though.
  3. They were only two weeks old and it was the first time I had tried to take them off.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Where did the string break?
  5. Just at the tuning post.
  6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I had that happen once, but I think the string was stressed out from a few previous removals and re-stringings. Broke right at the tuning post when I was taking it off (for the last time as fate would have it. ;) )
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Bieng that there are alot of variables I'll throw a couple of thoughts at you. If the string broke exactly at the tuner shaft it is possible that part of the string extending toward the nut off of the tuner made contact with another part of the string which was wrapped around the tuner and snapped the outer winding which caused the failure. It is also possible that it happened the other way around, the part of the string extending out toward the nut rubbing up against a portion of the string that was wrapped around the shaft. I'm not familiar with your instrument, but generally the spot where the string has to bend at a 90 deg angle into the slot in the tuner shaft is a weak point and the overwraps can put pressure and friction on this area. It's always a good idea to make that bend high and coil the string downward towards the headstock.
    The other thing that can happen when loosening strings(pretty rarely though) is the movement pulling downward toward the bridge catching an outer string winding on the edge of the nut. This shouldn't be happening but if the string broke at or around the nut there may be a sharp edge there, although nut material is generally to soft to cause this.
    It is always a possibility that you just got a bum string.
    Good Luck!
  8. yeah, I'm not sure what caused it but I was just curious. This happened about 5 months ago and I switched to Chromes but I recently ordered another set of 9050s for my essex. Well see if it happens again...